Tips on heating the cove base molding for nose

Looking to put the black cove base molding on kart nose . See some guys use heat gun for better fit ? Would some of you experienced guys in this share some more in details . Thanks in advance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This time of year, lay it in the sun for a few minutes and it's hot and flexible. If you don't have a heat gun, a hair dryer will work.

Heat gun is best way, heat it little at a time as you go, helps to have someone work the heat gun for you while you apply the molding

More rounded noses accommodate cove board molding better than some of the noses with a very pronounced point at the center.
Heat isn't even necessary with most noses, but I suppose it would help some on the more pointed noses out there. We had to make a small "V" incision in the top of the molding right in the center on one particular nose we have used in the past. It came out alright I suppose...heat wouldn't have helped it. This stuff is pretty easy to work with when it's been in the sun for a few minutes.
I use the self-adhesive style and have never had to re-glue or pop-rivet, etc. Pretty happy with how it has worked on our own karts.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Make sure kart is stable so you can get a good pull on it after putting base in the sun. More you can stretch it seams to go around a little easier. I start on rt side of the kart nose and pull to the left but you may have to go up little in the center to get it to work. Can use a heat gun to heat up any spots that rippled out and push against the body for a few sec and should go away. Make sure you leave extra on each end and cut it with a razor blade after you get it put on. Put alluminum rivits on each end to hold to the body incase it trys to come loose this will help hold it on. Good luck it may take a couple times to get perfect... JMO

Back