Tire and rim recommendation for clone med on asphalt oval

2ea 10.5 x 4.50-6 MCS Vega left side on 5.5", 6", or 6.5" rims
2ea 12.0 x 8.00-6 MCS Vega right side on 10" wheels

If you are right where you want to be on stagger in the front with a 6.5" LF and 10" RF but need to have smaller stagger in the rear would it be ok to run a 5.5" or 6" on the LR to get the stagger you want? How will it effect the kart?

Rim width won't effect the kart, stagger will.
I've run 5, 5.5, 6 & 6.5" on the LR both on asphalt and indoor concrete. Just keep your tread width where it needs to be by moving the LR hub.
Always had good luck with 1-1/4-1-1/2" stagger front & rear on asphalt.

MCS thicks I assume??--What about stagger for a 3/8 mile oval--the last paved track we were on was 1/10 mile.. Thanks ,John

3/8 mile? The possibilities for the turn radius and the length of the straights is endless. Do you have any idea on the distance between the straightaways? I have one layout of a 3/8 mile track that is 300 feet between the straightaways and it calls for 7/16 stagger.

Just seems to me that, if you really want to get down the straightaways, if their long, why any stagger at all? Put a little more caster in the LF and get the weight off that LR in the turns.

In my mind, it's a compromise between getting down the straights and maximum bite through the corners.

Gear it so that you don't go too far over peak horsepower RPM at the end of the straights. Stay in the heart of the power band! It may hurt you slightly on the starts, but once the race starts it will be a big benefit. A 3/8 mile oval is one place I have experience with. It was on pavement, but I think my suggestions will transfer to dirt just the same.

All good points Al---I44 speedway Lebanon Mo. We have run a sister track 3/8 back in flathead days but so far my notes have eluded me.

All good points Al---I44 speedway Lebanon Mo. We have run a sister track 3/8 back in flathead days but so far my notes have eluded me.
Googled it! Banking means even less stagger. More tire pressure. I would not run those big tires they use on dirt, not in the front anyway!! Lots of air!! Waiting for the screams now!

Back