Tire Bellowing

Menace61

Thanks to our track photographer i got this pic of our right rear tire. I was told that this is called Bellowing. Never heard or seen it before. Any comments? Is this too much or not enough? Soft track on SS 11's.

Attachments

• Tire Bellowing.jpg
    Tire Bellowing.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 225
The real question is what kind of cage is that, and where do I get one? :) Neat pic -- not seen that before. I'd guess it was too low on pressure...

The real question is what kind of cage is that, and where do I get one? :) Neat pic -- not seen that before. I'd guess it was too low on pressure...
Bolt on cage built by a local fabricator. I was told that this is what you want. Just looking for more info.

If it is pulling the entire tire carcass that far, picture what is happening at the tire contact patch.
Not much different than what happen to a top fuel rear tire during burnout and race.
The action at the contact patch is often referred to as slip angle

That happens to every tire, even the ones on your street car. The higher tire pressures make it less noticeable.

I would say it looks normal. ALL tires deflect "some" under cornering, even the hard spec tires used in sprint racing.
Floppy sidewall tires like SS11s are about the lowest spring rate tires made. The Hoosier D10A was slightly lower, but they are NLA. Increasing air pressure will stiffen the spring rate some and cause the tire to deflect less. Next logical question: Will that be faster? Maybe. You will only know when you try.

Here's a "wayback" pic that shows rear tire deflection on my sprint car. It clearly shows the reason for beadlock wheels as well. :)
2006us36website.jpg

Will be honest, I understand the concept behind it but not a fan of any type of roll over cage attachment on a kart with out seat restraints. Flat cart like motorcycles you actually want thrown away from the kart in case of roll over. If your seat hugs to tight to let you eject properly then it's an improper fitting seat.

If you have a cage like this there is a chance of an arm getting caught or God forbid your head and you are getting crushed by the kart.

Then we can look into the fact that no track insurance will cover you in an accident if they catch wind you are running this stuff and it could be a real loose loose

Will be honest, I understand the concept behind it but not a fan of any type of roll over cage attachment on a kart with out seat restraints. Flat cart like motorcycles you actually want thrown away from the kart in case of roll over. If your seat hugs to tight to let you eject properly then it's an improper fitting seat.

If you have a cage like this there is a chance of an arm getting caught or God forbid your head and you are getting crushed by the kart.

Then we can look into the fact that no track insurance will cover you in an accident if they catch wind you are running this stuff and it could be a real loose loose
These karts are run all over they are not much different than champ kart in theory these cages are bolted on ...the driver has seat belts and wears arm restraints

Back