Tire Diameter Matter

Bandmn

does tire diameter matter or just as long as the stagger is what you are looking for? For example i run an 1 3\8 stagger in the rear on my deuce now does it matter if that is accomplished by running a 34" RR and a 32 5\8" LR or a 34 1\4" RR and a 32 7\8.

The paper pushers will tell you it does but they have NO proof of that on track, proper amount of stagger is what's most important if you got that run them. You''ll hear it will change the rake of the chassis and other things, this falls into the don't over think it category.

well i brought it up because i have some tires that measure up to 34 1\4 and dont know what to do with them. they are good tires just got in a tire buyout i purchased.

The paper pushers will tell you it does but they have NO proof of that on track, proper amount of stagger is what's most important if you got that run them. You''ll hear it will change the rake of the chassis and other things, this falls into the don't over think it category.

now for another question.... will a track (same track) call for different staggers on different days depending on the track characteristics for that particular day? or once you have the stagger your kart likes, is it a set it and forget it type of setting?

now for another question.... will a track (same track) call for different staggers on different days depending on the track characteristics for that particular day? or once you have the stagger your kart likes, is it a set it and forget it type of setting?
Pretty much once you know what you need set it and forget it, the least amount you can get away with is best , BUT you must maintain good rotation, If you have it set for normal and some night the track is a lot more wet slick less grip, then you can get away with less rear stagger.
And I'll add just because someone else is real fast on a certain amount rear does not mean it's automatic for you, it's a base line but you may need different.

B
does tire diameter matter or just as long as the stagger is what you are looking for? For example i run an 1 3\8 stagger in the rear on my deuce now does it matter if that is accomplished by running a 34" RR and a 32 5\8" LR or a 34 1\4" RR and a 32 7\8.

I'm about as far from a paper pusher as you'll find. ... :)

Yes it 'can' matter. I consider it more of a fine tuning thing to match how rear tires will work with the track configuration/banking. Not versed on karts but I'm convinced same stagger/roll out on taller tires vers shorter tires does make a difference on Winged sprint cars. I see no reason what I see can't scale down to kart size tires. And yes it's one of those nit picky things but in the big picture especially with all other things equal between competitors, I think it can be the difference.

The recent thread on chassis rake with a big person effecting how the right side tires are used is an example where tall tires verses shorter tires with equal stagger/roll out might make a difference. It may be small but it may also be what's needed to make a final solution to a problem.

As use to be said often on here: "Everything Matters". ... :)

The recent thread on chassis rake with a big person effecting how the right side tires are used is an example where tall tires verses shorter tires with equal stagger/roll out might make a difference. It may be small but it may also be what's needed to make a final solution to a problem.

ill have to look in to that thread.... thank you paul!

I say no to your original question, if you got the stagger you want. But, I prefer to keep my right sides the same size, that way I can move them front to rear without chassis change. It is very easy to grow or shrink a tire 1/4' also. Just my .02

Burris 33s... A friend of mine had a left side that i couldnt get to shrink to save my life.... Had a cooler full of ice water used almost a 22lb bag of ice type of ice water lol... Put tire on my surfacer and heated with a cutting torch like "i go to grow a tire" with the valve core out, slammed the core in amd submersed in the cooler put a piece of heavy steel on it to hold it under..... No luck

^ What width wheel?

You shouldn't have too much problem shrinking a 6.00 Burris to 32 1/2"
To get one down to 32" takes some special effort.

As per the original question - keep in mind that all of our current chassis have been designed for 34" right side tires. This determines the chassis ride height, rake, and tilt.
A 34 1/2" tire will make minimal difference in the ride height, but it WILL make a difference (and how the weight transfers is different as well.)
I would have no reservations about a super heavy or UAS type package running a slightly taller right side tire, but keep in mind that even if CoG is raised minimally, it WILL affect the overall set-up and handling.
I prefer to have ALL of my right sides at 34" so that I can swap them around (front to rear) and grab anything in the trailer and not have to worry about it affecting corner weights on the scales. It really simplifies things for me.
Work on stagger by sizing the left rears and have an add'l lr tire or two in the trailer for when you want to try something different.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

^ What width wheel?

You shouldn't have too much problem shrinking a 6.00 Burris to 32 1/2"
To get one down to 32" takes some special effort.

As per the original question - keep in mind that all of our current chassis have been designed for 34" right side tires. This determines the chassis ride height, rake, and tilt.
A 34 1/2" tire will make minimal difference in the ride height, but it WILL make a difference (and how the weight transfers is different as well.)
I would have no reservations about a super heavy or UAS type package running a slightly taller right side tire, but keep in mind that even if CoG is raised minimally, it WILL affect the overall set-up and handling.
I prefer to have ALL of my right sides at 34" so that I can swap them around (front to rear) and grab anything in the trailer and not have to worry about it affecting corner weights on the scales. It really simplifies things for me.
Work on stagger by sizing the left rears and have an add'l lr tire or two in the trailer for when you want to try something different.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Are you constantly having to blow the RS tires up through the week to keep them at 34? Or is the hot box I don't own the trick to getting them to 34 and keeping them at 34? Only ones that I own that stay at 34 are those treaded hoosiers I bought from you. My Vegas and my maxxis both shrink back if I don't put atleast 20pds through the week.

I have had Burris left rears in the past year that won't move no way no how, they are even so big they don't want to fit in my tire ring to mount them.
I have a brand new 55 that we just were not able to use because it measures 33 3/8 and will not shrink after repeated heat / ice baths.

Back