Tire duro readings

Wisracer

I have searched the threads and can’t find my answer.
When checking the duro of a tire I check at multiple spots across the tire.
My question is “should you see much variation across the tire??” I am using Burris 33a’s. If some variation is ok how much? 2-3 points across tire.. 5-6 points? If you have a big variation does that mean you are not prepping the tires correctly and getting more prep in certain spots on the tire which is softening it unequal across the tire.
Thanks for any info. We are fairly new to karting but normally running top 3. Just trying to dial things in and I know tires are a big part of the equation!!

Try to check them at the same points, a lot of people use the wear dots as a reference, but yes 2 to 3 point difference is common in some, and that's not just a prep issue I have 33s that are like that, that have never been wiped with chemical, don't get hung up on duro only with 33s it's all about when to prep and how, and when not to prep.

I have searched the threads and can’t find my answer.
When checking the duro of a tire I check at multiple spots across the tire.
My question is “should you see much variation across the tire??” I am using Burris 33a’s. If some variation is ok how much? 2-3 points across tire.. 5-6 points? If you have a big variation does that mean you are not prepping the tires correctly and getting more prep in certain spots on the tire which is softening it unequal across the tire.
Thanks for any info. We are fairly new to karting but normally running top 3. Just trying to dial things in and I know tires are a big part of the equation!!
2-3 points is common. 5-6 points sounds high to me. Yes, could be prepped heavier there where it's softer. Also, if the rubber is real thin, you could be hitting the carcass or webbing in the tire giving a false/higher reading on the durometer. Keep in mind that durometers don't always compare well one to another. Be consistent in which durometer you use, and consistent on where you check your tires. I typically check the center, then at the wear dots, then on the shoulders.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thank you both for the info!! I haven't been consistent with where I was checking. Just going from one side to the other and seeing the readings. I will start being more consistent of where I take the readings and track each tire a little more careful.

Back