Tire finish question

krtrcn

I've seen a few tire guys offer tires done on a larry jones tire grinder.
I would imagine that it leaves the tire surface in a course finish, probably like if took a tire and scuffed it on asphalt.
What are the benefits of having this done vs. done a tire cutting machine, besides not having to have a template to go by. Thats according to Larry Jones website.
Just curious.

Thanks

The "grinding" that the OP is referring to is likely the newer style Jones machine that has a grinder head and grinds the tires as opposed to cutting with a cutting bit.
The ones that I have seen done on the grinding head still require finishing the same as we do with the ones done on the standard Jones machine using a cutting bit.
Finish is something that I consider particular to the track surface.
Ie, Burris tires on low bite tracks in the north like a courser textured (plateau finish) whereas Maxxis on a hard "bite up" track in the south east like a very smooth finish.

Just a different way to butter your bread is all. Each have their own preference -- if one single way were dramatically better, then we'd all be doing it that way.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The "grinding" that the OP is referring to is likely the newer style Jones machine that has a grinder head and grinds the tires as opposed to cutting with a cutting bit.
The ones that I have seen done on the grinding head still require finishing the same as we do with the ones done on the standard Jones machine using a cutting bit.
Finish is something that I consider particular to the track surface.
Ie, Burris tires on low bite tracks in the north like a courser textured (plateau finish) whereas Maxxis on a hard "bite up" track in the south east like a very smooth finish.

Just a different way to butter your bread is all. Each have their own preference -- if one single way were dramatically better, then we'd all be doing it that way.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Sounds if the "Secret tire cutter" SBR had isnt a secret any more

I don't know if they had anything quite like what Larry is selling now, Jamie.
They may have had one of the Jimmy White machines that used a grinder head at one time.
I think that they did most of their stuff on a standard Jones machine toward the end there. Likely some finish work as well.

I don't know if they had anything quite like what Larry is selling now, Jamie.
They may have had one of the Jimmy White machines that used a grinder head at one time.
I think that they did most of their stuff on a standard Jones machine toward the end there. Likely some finish work as well.
They had a grinder/sander back in the day, we went up and spent a few days training our tech guy, and Brian showed it to us, it was a blown up design of an RC tire cutter

Back