Tire Game are you sick of it ?

We would never tell our son that but don't think the other kids won't or even the other parents. We don't race the big series right now but we've had a kid at a local race tell our son he was going to beat him because he has a tire guy now and we've had a parent say that no one beats their son because they spend the most and have the best tire guy in the country. This was all last year but nothing has changed. We go to places we can be competitive it's more fun and always cheaper. We've been told these teams can get things others can't by people on the teams and by an outsider looking in it looks like money buys wins. Lets face it most tracks in the South you just hold on and go left. Very few are driving tracks. It all comes down to who has the best setup and the fastest tires and it's rare to see someone who isn't on a team win.
At one time people were told the world was flat, just say N

I've only been in this sport for 3 years (well actually my son) but from what I've seen the problem with racing is the amount of money people are willing to spend to make sure they/their kids win. If every track had a no prep rule the same people who pay a tire guy would just start paying the chassis builders to help them set up their kart or heck even build them a kart no one else could get or they'd spend even more on motors to guarantee theirs got that extra
.1 we are all looking for. The same people that run up front now will always run up front because racing is no longer about skill it's about how much money you have and 9 times out of 10 if you watch a big race the winners are on a team. Some may have skill and be picked for the team but most are paying to be on that team. Those teams have access to stuff the average Joe doesn't and that will never change.
nailed it!

"Some men see things as they are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were, and ask why not" Robert Kennedy
"I've only been in this sport for 3 years (well actually my son) but from what I've seen the problem with racing is the amount of money people are willing to spend to make sure they/their kids win" payneracing
"we've had a kid at a local race tell our son he was going to beat him because he has a tire guy now and we've had a parent say that no one beats their son because they spend the most and have the best tire guy in the country" racing promotor
It doesn't have to be that way but if you are willing to accept things as they are they will continue that way.
Yes, we used to think the world was flat.

"Some men see things as they are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were, and ask why not" Robert Kennedy
"I've only been in this sport for 3 years (well actually my son) but from what I've seen the problem with racing is the amount of money people are willing to spend to make sure they/their kids win" payneracing
"we've had a kid at a local race tell our son he was going to beat him because he has a tire guy now and we've had a parent say that no one beats their son because they spend the most and have the best tire guy in the country" racing promotor
It doesn't have to be that way but if you are willing to accept things as they are they will continue that way.

Exactly my point why no one should tell themselves there getting beat because someone is out spending the, it will never change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to sound like a idiot "which is easy for me to do " Promoter. but exactly what should people be telling their selves when the money roles in and clean sweeps the classes?

Not to sound like a idiot "which is easy for me to do " but exactly what should people be telling their selves when the money roles in and clean sweeps the classes?
Sure shouldn't be they don't stand a chance !
It's not that difficult to learn what it takes for whichever local track anyone runs.

I am fortunate enough to have quite a few tracks within a reasonable distance from home. I choose to focus my racing on the track that is the least tire dependent. As I posted very early in this thread, I have 2 sets of 11's for this track and only ever use the one set which is 3 years old now. In order to be competitive at this track all you need is one good set of 11's. No need for internal or cutting. This is as cheap as it comes.
An additional upside is that this is a racers track, we can and do run many different lines around this track. I have personally taken it four wide on the straightaways and two wide through the turns with success.
If you are tired of the tire game, and if you have alternative venues to race at, then quit playing the game! I did and have zero regrets and a lot more time on my hands.

Sure shouldn't be they don't stand a chance !
It's not that difficult to learn what it takes for whichever local track anyone runs.
We do well at our local track, or at least we think we do, until a big team rolls in and starts setting record lap times (on a track that isn't record breaking.) When that happens we are just happy to get close times but it does make you scratch your head when you can look back 3 years and no one in that class has ever been that fast. Again it makes me think the money they spent for their very experienced tire/chassis/motor guy really paid off.

There are three kinds of "fast" teams:

1. Those who need their fast team winning to sell engines, karts and other things.
2. Those with the money to spend and want to win by gathering together the quality needed to win.
3. Those who are quality and show up expecting to have a chance to take the money only needing to spend what is actually needed to put their skill and quality on the track for a chance to win.

There's only one name for the challenges of racing. The name is "Winning".

All the rest is striving to be your best or only fun and games.

Face it, racing is a sport where money will most certainly have an advantage.
Unlike stick and ball sports; buying a better/newer baseball glove, basketball, football, shoes, etc will not make junior a better athlete or win more games.
Whereas buying better/newer race equipment almost certainly results in better finishes.
Not a guarantee, mind you, just that it is generally going to be faster.

See, it doesn't matter if you have blueprinted tires or not...Now the conversation has turned to money.
If a guy has $10,000 in his budget to spend on his racing; even if you impound his tires, he's still going to spend that same $10,000, he'll just spend it elsewhere in his team to gain an advantage. There is a reason that you see the top guys on new equipment (dirt and pavement.) If they could win with a Banshee or Stalker, do you think they'd be running the newest latest stuff available? Same with the sprint race crowd...I don't see too many older Margays or Coyotes up front anymore. There is a reason. Newer stuff is faster, and this newer stuff costs money.

I've said for years that the best drivers in the world are probably not running F1, Indy, or Nascar.
They're running at some local Saturday night track and simply haven't met the money to get them to that next step.

At some levels of karting, we've spec'd almost everything (tires - ie MG, YLCs, ELs, etc; engines - ie LO206, Predator; chassis - ie Margay Ignite; and more,) and still the cream rises to the top. We've dumbed it down to make everything as equal as we possibly can and you still have guys crying "unfair" when they get beat by someone with more experience (whether they've spent more money or not.)
Face it, despite our attempts to make everything "equal," the guys with experience and knowledge will consistently be more successful than folks that have just gotten into the sport.

You know if dirt oval racers would stop racing slick tires on dirt, and run treaded tires, you would fix all your tire issues

Back