Tire heat

spincycle

If one tire is hotter than the other (RR vs LR....or LR vs RR) does that, generally speaking, indicate the hotter tire is "underworking".....or "overworking"....?

Indicates the hotter tire is working more, doesn't always mean it's over heating higher than optimal temperature, the cooler tire could just not be working hard enough.

If a tire is warmer, it's doing more work, yes.
Keep in mind that right sides are typically warmer than left sides though.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Not on our Slack Pursuits ;) The LR is almost always hotter than the RR. On a hard, fast track if you're rolling over on the RS too much you're losing drive and will be slower than the guy driving off that LR. A kart running high cross and working well will have a hot RF and hot LR.

Not on our Slack Pursuits ;) The LR is almost always hotter than the RR. On a hard, fast track if you're rolling over on the RS too much you're losing drive and will be slower than the guy driving off that LR. A kart running high cross and working well will have a hot RF and hot LR.
My exact issue I'm trying to decipher, kart is good, but not good enough to get to the front....my LR and RF are always hotter on a hard fast track, and I am on the high end of the factory recommendations for cross, I too feel like if I could get more drive off the LR, I would be much happier, gonna get it on the scales and will be retweaking a few things, will let you know how it goes....thx! 😉

I would agree with what you are saying -- Sorry, I had already figured in additional info from other discussions with the OP when I made that reply.
Momentum tracks, high cross, high bite -- will build LR/RF tire temps. Bullring tracks, lower cross, lower bite will build more right side tire temps.
Of course, some don't give any concern at all to tire temps for dirt oval karts per other threads on the issue. :)

I would agree with what you are saying -- Sorry, I had already figured in additional info from other discussions with the OP when I made that reply.
Momentum tracks, high cross, high bite -- will build LR/RF tire temps. Bullring tracks, lower cross, lower bite will build more right side tire temps.
Of course, some don't give any concern at all to tire temps for dirt oval karts per other threads on the issue. :)
Nope, care more what the surface of the tire looks like,and that's not the only deciding factor.
Lap times and what lap was our fastest

Would it be fair to say that the tire(s) that maintain the most tire contact patch to the track surface the longest and most consistently from lap to lap SHOULD be the tire(s) that have the greatest amount of heat in them?

I am thinking the slipping tire is the hottest .
I aint expect enought to know though .
I also like to see a grain in the tires .
Nice smooth polished surface to me says not being used .

With a solid axle, how can a tire "slip"? I would think it would be more a case of one tire just making revolutions and the other tire that is "in the track" biting and gripping to the surface influencing the handling, forward bite and overall speed....whereas if both tires are equally "in the track" theoretically the kart should handle better and creating more forward bite and overall speed....correct? 🤔

It would seem, after some thought, that with a solid axle, either tire "slipping" would be impossible unless either the surface/contact patch isn't making contact with the track surface, or both tires are "slipping" simultaneously....which would lend credence to the school of thought that the tire that is working hardest/most in the track surface should be the hotter of the two, simply because of the friction between the tire contact patch and the track surface....🤔

Back