Tire Life

jc57

What is the best way to tell when a tire's life is at it's end. I have a few tires that seem very dry they are 2017 Burris 33a and have started to develop some cracks. Is there a way to "revive" them or are they pretty much useless?

Thank you

TrackTac claims their tire tough can bring back old tires pretty well. Can't say I've tried it myself but I do like the product on fairly fresh tires! Once Cracked up though I think they are ready for the dump.

am i messing up by letting my tires sit out in the sun for a week or 2 after a race? is that drying them out to much or is it just because they are older tires?

Don't they need to sit out after using krug green for example?
If I use Krug green on a set, that set becomes a soaked set.
Leaving tires in the sun doesn't hurt them, make sure to rotate them daily though

If you're using Krug (or any of the copies of Green) you will need to set your tires out for a couple of weeks before using them again.
Krug, goat, wintergreen, etc is very aggressive and pulls the oils to the surface of the rubber every time that you use it. Unless you are replenishing those oils, you are continually depleting them and over time they will dry out.

Once they've dry cracked, they're only going to be usable on very high bite tracks. I've seen some dry cracked tires fly indoors on syrup, but rarely on dirt. Big momentum tracks where you are not concerned about sidebite and only rollspeed, sure, they'll be ok.

If you're just trying to save the tires, you can try to revive them with a good internal conditioner that puts oil back in the rubber, or needle some in from the outside as well.
Our Pink Panther does a real good job of this, and we offer a version called Pink Panther Thick Formula that has more of the heavy oils in it.
Keep in mind that if you're putting a lot of oil in the tires, then they would normally be better suited for soft low bite tracks, and they will never be as fast as fresh(er) rubber for that.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back