tire not getting hot

I suggest you start your mission to buy a set of new tires and wheels. That way you can always put your old worn out tires and wheels back on in case you feel like learning finesse at a slower pace. Learn what new tires feel like at least for one run so then you will be able to confirm what tires that are old and worn out feel like. All the adjustments you make to the kart and tire set up is quite different when using old and new tires in order to make them turn the fastest lap possible with them.

Hey, great idea. THANKS. I'll get a set and try it out to see what it feels like. question.

do you have any feelings on 6.00 vs 7.10 rears?

At 465 pounds I would be on 7.1's with 8 - 8 1/4" wide wheel. If you have a choice IMO a magnesium wheel instead of aluminum.

If it's taking that long to get heat in them especially at that weight, the tires must be ancient.....if you've got TAG/Shifter guys at your track try to source a newer set of take off tires and you'll be much better off. The reason most of our 2-cycle guys dump the tires at 2/3rds "tread" is they get hot and they "go out" sooner. They work great for 4-cycle because we don't have that much power and they come up to temp sooner being a little thinner.
My kart sat in storage for years before I got it and the tires on it were hockey pucks and performed like yours do....

good point. I got my new set in yesterday but I havent mounted them yet. I have some changes Im making and I want to see what difference they make.

I'll make sure to report on what difference the new tires made when I run them.

Back