Tire philosophy

gcashwell

The way I understand it, there are two ways to get grip - prep and air pressure. How do I know which to change? Do I go on low air to get grip and always prep as little as possible? I just don't understand the line of thinking.

No not always there are cases where you prep plus low air, it really comes down to the track condition and tire, take Burris with different compounds you would have a better chance of just lower air working with right compound, your best chance of using only air would be with Burris 33s.

Last edited:
No not always there are cases where you prep plus low air, it really comes down to the track condition and tire, take Burris with different compounds you would have a better chance of just lower air working with right compound, your best chance of using only air would be with Burris 33s.
My track is a medium to high bite track. Burris 33 tire rule. I just haven’t hit the right combo of prep and air for my tires. I’ll keep playing with it.

My track is a medium to high bite track. Burris 33 tire rule. I just haven’t hit the right combo of prep and air for my tires. I’ll keep playing with it.
Which track is it ? 33s only I really like but it's a tough game as it could be fresh new tires with certain cut, could be 1 yr old, could be 2 yr old, then the different cut options, medium to high bite would be very little prep if any at all.

when its a 33 only like our home track Dumplin valley you dont wanna prep with anything that softens because the tire is almost to soft new.
We buy tires for next season this year and allow them to set and harden on their own

when its a 33 only like our home track Dumplin valley you dont wanna prep with anything that softens because the tire is almost to soft new.
We buy tires for next season this year and allow them to set and harden on their own
Similar situation here. I’ve bought a couple of sets of 2016s that I like better than the 2019s.

I’m going to start prepping much less aggressively this weekend. I’ll report back.

Similar situation here. I’ve bought a couple of sets of 2016s that I like better than the 2019s.

I’m going to start prepping much less aggressively this weekend. I’ll report back.
need to check the duro, if its like here closer to 60 the better

Which track is it ? 33s only I really like but it's a tough game as it could be fresh new tires with certain cut, could be 1 yr old, could be 2 yr old, then the different cut options, medium to high bite would be very little prep if any at all.
Its Beaver Creek. Amazingly well maintained track surface.

I think you'll like the 16's better @ Beaver Creek. As long as they've not been goated up in the past. If the sidewalls are still strong, they'll roll better than the newer tires there.
I'd be up on air and up on prep (when needed.) Bigger tracks take more psi in Burris because of the soft sidewall construction. Low air kills roll speed and is best suited for smaller bullring tracks.
BC bites up pretty good and a '16 tire punching 60 with some non-hardening bite (like our Black Bite 2.) rolls real well there.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I think you'll like the 16's better @ Beaver Creek. As long as they've not been goated up in the past. If the sidewalls are still strong, they'll roll better than the newer tires there.
I'd be up on air and up on prep (when needed.) Bigger tracks take more psi in Burris because of the soft sidewall construction. Low air kills roll speed and is best suited for smaller bullring tracks.
BC bites up pretty good and a '16 tire punching 60 with some non-hardening bite (like our Black Bite 2.) rolls real well there.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Thanks for that info! I have a gallon of 2.0 that I got from you guys. I’ll give it a shot this weekend.

Do you recommend, on a dry, hard night at BC to just To not do a PRW and just use the BB2.0 as directed? I ask because I have never seen anybody go to the grid with dry tires. But I’m not saying it doesn’t happen.

Last edited:
I think you'll always need a PRW there. But I'd wipe with Monster Bite rather than BB2.0.
BB2.0 "can" be used as a PRW, but I think it takes too long to dry into the tire, and you DO NOT want to go to the grid with BB2.0 wet. (It's just wasteful to do that and it won't give you the bite that you need.)
Monster Bite is our preferred PRW. It is best going to the grid wet (unless you want to drop the duro 2-3 points, then it would be fine to let dry into the tire.)

I think you'll always need a PRW there. But I'd wipe with Monster Bite rather than BB2.0.
BB2.0 "can" be used as a PRW, but I think it takes too long to dry into the tire, and you DO NOT want to go to the grid with BB2.0 wet. (It's just wasteful to do that and it won't give you the bite that you need.)
Monster Bite is our preferred PRW. It is best going to the grid wet (unless you want to drop the duro 2-3 points, then it would be fine to let dry into the tire.)
Cool! I’ve got a gallon of that too!

Does monster bite add a similar amount of bite as a typical red prep, but without dropping duro? The red prep I have drops the duro, which I want to avoid doing.

The way I understand it, there are two ways to get grip - prep and air pressure. How do I know which to change? Do I go on low air to get grip and always prep as little as possible? I just don't understand the line of thinking.
In Sprint racing, I consistently ran more air than anybody else. Lots more. At a Sprint/induro race, Sears point Raceway California, I ran 36 psi. No kidding. We led the race from start to finish, except for the last lap, my driver thought he'd gotten the checkered flag. My philosophy has always been; when I turn the wheel, I want the tire to turn, not drift around because of low tire pressure. Now I know you can't run those kinds of tire pressures on dirt, but the philosophy is still there. That is, run as much tire pressure as conditions allow. Never ran prep so I can't speak to that.

Cool! I’ve got a gallon of that too!

Does monster bite add a similar amount of bite as a typical red prep, but without dropping duro? The red prep I have drops the duro, which I want to avoid doing.

Monster will most certainly drop the duro and adds considerably more bite than most "red" preps..
Black Bite 2.0 is our prep that adds bite without dropping duro.

Is it possible to add to much bite? At what point do we raise the tire pressure?
Yes, and you always want to try to hit it that you use as high of air as possible without any sliding ( best way to gauge that point when would be if everyone else's lap times are getting better ), If you miss It a little your better off a little less than more as sliding Will occur and you will not make that up and it will just keep getting worse as the run goes on.

Last edited:
Is it possible to add to much bite? At what point do we raise the tire pressure?

That's what's known as "locked down" or "snug" or "tight." Please no further argument on terminology. It is what it is. :)

Raising the tire psi will get some roll speed back up, but if you're prepped too much, you'll be worse off than running the correct pressures and less prep/bite.

On our junior stuff, we like to run more air -- same with big momentum tracks. When you go to more air, then you need more bite to compensate for side bite in the corners. Big tracks like GKK, Dumplin, Ben Hur, etc like more air for better roll speed due to their size.
Think about driving your truck and trailer down the interstate -- Are you better on low air or high? Same with your kart, but you've still got to get it to stick in the corners if there's little to no bite.

Back