Tire Prep 101

flying squirrel

Hello fellow races -

I am new to the dirt oval game and have been out of karting for 15 years. I was hoping I could get some education on tire prep. I am not looking for everyone's opinion on what prep to use just the basics.

I know a lot of these answers will depend on the track/tire brand/compound but again I am just trying to gain a basic insight. Any opinions are welcome and appreciated!

When to apply
How to apply
How much to apply
Etc...

Would like some of this info too! Also wondering, you can make the tires softer just by prepping the outside or is it an absolute must to apply prep inside as well?

Matt Bryant at palmetto speed shop has good detailed information about how, when and how much for his preps ( perfection tire solutions) but there are others here on bobs that I'm sure are as good and are always willing to help anyone. Earl and Chris with trac tac and also Brian Carlson has his own line and these folks are always helping people here on bobs. These are just a few people but there are plenty of people making their own line of preps but I would suggest someone close to your region and can get the most support from.

trial and error, school of hard knocks, etc.... seriously, get with someone who races in your area to find out what brands of preps are working best. applying coats during the week gets you started, personally, I use a small paint roller, and then at the track day of race, roll a coat or two before going out on the track, then wait to see if the track starts to bite up or not, and adjust amount rolled on tires either up or down, its a big guessing game most of the time, sometimes you hit it, sometimes you don't. : )

hokie6260 - you'll probably need to prep inside and out. Call CKI in Midway, talk to Donnie Nall, he's the best around. 336-661-8500

Would like some of this info too! Also wondering, you can make the tires softer just by prepping the outside or is it an absolute must to apply prep inside as well?

Depends more on the brand of tires you are and type of track/s you race on more than anything else. With Maxxis tires, it is usually a must to internally prep if you want to be competitive, with Burris tires on good bite tracks you can usually get by with no internal and only outside prep if you know how to use the line of prep you are working with. Vega tires, same as Burris, sometimes you will need internal and sometimes you wont, it is more track dependent, according to conditions. I'd suggest talking to one of the front runners where you race or a local kart shop that knows the tracks in your area and get on the same tire prep program they are using so you will have good support at the track and when you need it.

Talk to your engine builder---IMO, these grump old dogs usually know a lot more about the other aspects of karting then people give them credit. Also, if he's a local builder, he can give you specifics about the tracks in your area too which is a plus.

However, you may have bought an engine from out of state--IDK.

JMO

Back