Tire prep chemical?

Shaky60

Ethoxyquin is a rubber stabilizer / pesticide / food preservative. I have read that it is used in tire production. So I cut ethoxyquin 50/50 with UF clear and rolled onto some unilli tires. It made them very very soft but I never races them. Has anyone else tried this?

I would say its safe to assume that 99% of these guys don't know what you just said. The ones who do I would assume 99% of them won't say. Most racers these days order a prep that's already mixed, or can buy into a "program." Most of the good info guys either don't get on here anymore or just don't post, it's a shame.

I looked into this. Study hazardous polymerization. With a molecular weight of 217.3 and a flash over 100c. Dangerous when exposed to heat, light, and air. I'd say there are more than a few reasons this would not be in my lab for testing.

hum? cant be too bad they use it in dog food chili powder and protecting pears from frost as well as rubber lol

A lot of chemicals when mixed with something may be safe but by itself can be very dangerous. The amount used in a food source will be very very small compared to what is used in a rubber source also.

Yes. Got to love MSDS sheets. Ever read the WD40 MSDS? it says it could be fatal if swallowed(watch out). Hope the new SDS are a little more realistic. Every chemical could be harmful in some way, shape or form.

This chemical is in every rubber compound already and most animal food, yes at a regulated quantity, but it is in food. Think of all the playground equipment with the 'new' recycled rubber bedding... It don't seem like this chemical is the next creo...

I do not know a lot about tires or tire prep and that is why I asked if it is used or could be used...

Back