Tire prep program

ftgokie

We are kinda new to kart racing and still lots to learn. We have a motor sponsor for next year and a friend is sponsoring our tires/wheels.

Im not sure really how to ask the question but can someone lay out for me a good tire prep program? Do you have a dedicated tire guy that does all your tire prep and ship you the tires/wheels every week or 2 or what?

We will be running locally (Muskogee Oklahoma) 1-2x a month next year and the other 2 weeks we will be heading out of state to race. Im not 2 concerned about the local races because the guys around here are running a set of tires practically the whole year. So I figure if we have a set of tires that has a few races on them we should be golden locally as far as tires are concerned.

But heading out of state we will want new or as fresh as we can get. But what is practical? I know some of the bigger guys run a fresh set every race but for my 12yr old son (will be 13 in Jan) what would be practical?

We will be going with FTS as our prep and I will have Paul be our pepper dude, but what am I looking at as far as a good tire prep program and what would I need in my shop to maintain the tires.

I hope this makes sense because I think I just totally lost myself :D

I would like to hear this also. We don't run state races, but would like some more info on tires. Such as: is it better to scuff a new set of pinks on the track, or rough them in with a belt sander before putting them on the track. As of now we have several sets with varying amounts of internal prep. We start out on the heavy prepped set when the track is still wet and work our way into the lightest prepped set we have for when the track gets hot and dry.

We are kinda new to kart racing and still lots to learn. We have a motor sponsor for next year and a friend is sponsoring our tires/wheels.

Im not sure really how to ask the question but can someone lay out for me a good tire prep program? Do you have a dedicated tire guy that does all your tire prep and ship you the tires/wheels every week or 2 or what?

We will be running locally (Muskogee Oklahoma) 1-2x a month next year and the other 2 weeks we will be heading out of state to race. Im not 2 concerned about the local races because the guys around here are running a set of tires practically the whole year. So I figure if we have a set of tires that has a few races on them we should be golden locally as far as tires are concerned.

But heading out of state we will want new or as fresh as we can get. But what is practical? I know some of the bigger guys run a fresh set every race but for my 12yr old son (will be 13 in Jan) what would be practical?

We will be going with FTS as our prep and I will have Paul be our pepper dude, but what am I looking at as far as a good tire prep program and what would I need in my shop to maintain the tires.

I hope this makes sense because I think I just totally lost myself :D
your pepper dude should be able to give you the information you are looking for.

Im in Oklahoma and Paul is in Georgia I believe. My tire sponsor said he is buying 5 sets of tires/weels so I am guessing I will be sending them back to him to touch them up I guess.

I have a big lathe and I could always cut the tires myself. I will call him and ask him what all he recommends.

I am guessing I need a tire roller and a hot box maybe to do the inside and outside prep myself. What all is included in a refinishing setup?

It's not really feasible to send your tires off to have them prepped for you every week. Either pay someone to come prep them, learn to prep them, or buy prepped tires every time. Either way, you'll still have to prep at the track, either learn to do it, or pay someone.

As far as what to do at home, yeah get a refinisher. Something to spin the tire and a 4" grinder with a flapper sanding disc works good. 80-120 grit.

Hot box isn't "needed", but a roller is. They can be one in the same, so choose one or both whatever your pocketbook, or someone else's allows for. But, only if you're rolling your own tires inside. If not the you can do without the roller all together.

Another idea is to send your tire prepper dude your wheels and used tires a week or two before each big race that you plan on going to -- Have him dismount the used wheels and mount up new rubber on your used wheels, cut them, prep them, and ship them back to you before your next event. We offer this for a couple customers that run big events. I offer the customer something for his "scuffs" or "take-offs," to help out on the bill. I typically sell the take-offs locally or list them on here. I've got one guy that rotates 6 sets of wheels/tires with me (3 sets for the race, and 3 sets here getting ready for the next race.) It actually works real well and allows me plenty of time to work the tires for the specific track/event.
I doubt that anyone that cuts tires for you will be wanting you to "re-cut" them at all. Refinishing, sure. Then again, if you are going to big races, you probably won't be on used refinished tires, you'll be on new tires that your guy will prepare for you.

Remember, ALWAYS ask your tire guy first. Afterall, you are trusting him for all your tires, cutting and prep...trust him to answer your questions -- He's the one responsible for your speed as much or more than anyone. As far as prep -- follow the prep manufacturers suggestions and your tire guy's experience. I'd say you want at least a hot box with roller, and possibly another roller. It all depends on how much of the prep work you are wanting to do yourself, or have done professionally by someone else. As far as a refinishing stand....you'll need to refinish your own tires (even for your local deal) or have someone locally do this for you. Typically, there's someone at the track that will take your tires at the end of the night and bring them back to you ready to roll the following week. We do this for several customers for $5/tire. It would take a long time to pay for your own professionally built tire refinisher, belt sander, belts, grinder, flap discs, Windex, etc etc at $5/tire. Aside from that, his experience at doing the job correctly the first time is worth something. :)

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The best answer to your question is to call Paul Holt and stick with ONE prep line. I have his number in my phone and when he is at another track he has helped me over the phone and has called several times during the day to check up and offer more advice. Brian Giles 2010 track champion, 4th in Tenn (TCS) 2011,2013. finished 16th of 32 in Burris Nationals Money Race 2013. All on FTS and Holt cuts

Yea I talk to Paul some. I was supposed to call him tonight after I got off work but something came up..I will call him this weekend.

Paul is a great guy to deal with and is a very knowledgeable tire guy, the FTS Prep line he sells works very well, listen to Paul on your tires and I think you'll be very happy.

Back