Tire prep question

Thank you and yes I understand. I'm on Maxxis now and I've been told the at home work is extensive. I believe that and have no issues with putting the work in, I just don't understand other than sanding, re-prepping and staggering what else there is to do. Like I said above it seems there's this concoction of prep that's being wiped at different times all week to get a tire ready. LOL.....
Sent you a pm

Personally I like the A-230, mainly because it was developed by the help of Heidleberg. With the modern rubber used in Maxxis I think it is a better choice. Most preps pull the natural oils out of the tire as well as age, heat cycles and such. Most of your blanket washes help to preserve the rubber by conditioning and adding back some of the natural oils, or at the very least maintaining the resiliency of the rubber.

If you have a easy choice for the mentioned, I would use the V-120.

Msquared
Understanding Chassis Theory and Dynamics

Brief MSDS for blanket wash

SECTION 1 – IDENTITY PRODUCT NAME: PRINTING PRESS BLANKET WASH™ CHEMICAL NAME: Not applicable CHEMICAL FAMILY: Solvent blend FORMULA: Solvent mixture – printing press blanket cleaner. SECTION 2 – HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS PRINCIPAL HAZARDOUS COMPONENT(S) CAS NO. %BY WT. THRESHOLD LIMIT VALUE
1) VM & P Naphtha 64741-85-1 45-50% (ACGIH-TWA) 300 ppm
2) Isopropyl Alcohol 78-83-1 40-45% (ACGIH-TWA) 980 mg/m3*
3) Methanol 67-56-1 10-15% (ACGIH-TWA) 200 ppm

Or if you want the whole MSDS
https://www.momarhaystack.com/data/...blanketwash/printingpressblanketwash_msds.pdf
If you are not familiar with MSDS it is required that all chemical MFG. file the contents with the federal government. For all Chemicals and hazard materials.

Naptha refers to flammable liquid mixture of hydrocarbon i.e. a component of a natural gas condenses or a distillation from petroleum,coal tar,peat boiling in a certain range and containing certain hydrocarbons. it is common term use to cover the highest and most volatile fractions of liquid hydrocarbons in petroleum.naptha is colourless to reddish brown volatile aromatic liquid very similar to gasoline.there are many uses of naptha.used as solvent in laundry shop or cleaning fluid.

Napthalene is an organic compound.it is simplest polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon and a white crystalline solid with charcterstic odour.it is used to make product like moth ball that repels and keeps moths away

Personally I like the A-230, mainly because it was developed by the help of Heidleberg. With the modern rubber used in Maxxis I think it is a better choice. Most preps pull the natural oils out of the tire as well as age, heat cycles and such. Most of your blanket washes help to preserve the rubber by conditioning and adding back some of the natural oils, or at the very least maintaining the resiliency of the rubber.

If you have a easy choice for the mentioned, I would use the V-120.

Msquared
Understanding Chassis Theory and Dynamics

Mike Where do you get it?

Naptha refers to flammable liquid mixture of hydrocarbon i.e. a component of a natural gas condenses or a distillation from petroleum,coal tar,peat boiling in a certain range and containing certain hydrocarbons. it is common term use to cover the highest and most volatile fractions of liquid hydrocarbons in petroleum.naptha is colourless to reddish brown volatile aromatic liquid very similar to gasoline.there are many uses of naptha.used as solvent in laundry shop or cleaning fluid.

Napthalene is an organic compound.it is simplest polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon and a white crystalline solid with charcterstic odour.it is used to make product like moth ball that repels and keeps moths away
How about methyl naphthalene ?

I can't say that I have ever ran across Methyl Naphthalene. I usually stop at Naphthalene. Adding Methyl which is 1 carbon atom combined with 3 hydrogen atoms. CH3. Would not make it any safer..
FlatTop! what are you using that has Methyl Naphthalene in it? If you don't mind me asking. I just might learn something from you.
In printing, and dry cleaning they have used some very nasty Chemicals! Just like some of our tire preps use some very nasty chemicals. I believe that Sheldon at Track Tack has written some articles on preps that are extremely dangerous.

Last edited:
I can't say that I have ever ran across Methyl Naphthalene. I usually stop at Naphthalene. Adding Methyl which is 1 carbon atom combined with 3 hydrogen atoms. CH3. Would not make it any safer..
FlatTop! what are you using that has Methyl Naphthalene in it? If you don't mind me asking. I just might learn something from you.
In printing, and dry cleaning they have used some very nasty Chemicals! Just like some of our tire preps use some very nasty chemicals. I believe that Sheldon at Track Tack has written some articles on preps that are extremely dangerous.
You seem to know chemicals, or is it google? anyway its moth balls surprised you didnt know that.
Sheldon or Randy?
And yes, everyone of job age has probably came across MSDS

GLOVES, GLOVES, GLOVES! And never breath any of that stuff! Let alone heat it up. Tire prep is one of the reasons I quit karting. Dry cleaning fluid, now that stuff has some nasty things in it. I knew someone who used it, I stayed away from it.

I had a guy who owned a printing company that gave me the wash.

GLOVES, GLOVES, GLOVES! And never breath any of that stuff! Let alone heat it up. Tire prep is one of the reasons I quit karting. Dry cleaning fluid, now that stuff has some nasty things in it. I knew someone who used it, I stayed away from it.

I had a guy who owned a printing company that gave me the wash.
Yeah that DRY cleaning fluid you speak of is used a bunch in foam tire rc racing

My mistake , kinda like the differnce between propane and methanol a couple carbon molecules or an atom or two .
Goat pee was what i had in mind napthalate , napthalene .
appers i don't remeber the scientific name .

My father is a lifelong professional printer and is sending me some blanket wash as we speak.... I'm curious to see how well this works.

Oh and methyl naphthalene= Goat Pee!

Back