Tire Prep Questions For Beginner

Racing on a hard-packed clay 1/5 oval in the Predator 400 class. Only about 4-5 karts per week in the class. Not a big class, same guy has apparently been dominating all year and everyone else has been battling for second.

I don't want to be fully involved with prepping tires in the days leading up to a race. I only really would like to do prep work trackside the day of a race. With that being said, are there any suggestions on what tires I should buy for the kart in order to limit how much prep I need to do. I'm really only doing this for hobby in a small town but don't want to go out there and spin out every week in dead last. Track was apparently super slick the past few weeks but is usually medium bite.

It should also be noted I'd rather not mess with internal prep, I really only want to do the external prep. Most of the riders at the track now run vega or burris. I explored buying MAXXIS EL or Hoosier tires, even looked at Cobra. Seems like the area is not very into the sport, I mentioned buying MAXXIS and was told only the 'big-wig rich people' buy them.

If anyone has any advice on tires to buy and what prep is good for what I am looking for I would appreciate any advice I can get.

First off choose tires by what the track seems to want or what most people run. At my local track most people run maxxxis and a few on cobras but in this sport like most motorsports it takes money to go fast. I hate buying maxxis but if that is what it takes then that is what I will use. Internal is also one of the biggest essentials to tire prepping. Exterior prep wear off after a few laps and internal takes over and the stuff you wiped earlier in week. Get with a few guys at the local track and see. There are many people on here that could help you with tires. You mentioned maxxis el, burris, vega, maxxis and cobra. You will have to figure ut which is most commonly used at your local track. I mean in this sport I spend hours every week preparing tires. From internally prepping to externally prepping to flipping to sanding to sizing to mounting and everything you can think of. I mean it really depends on your competition on how in depth you will be in your tire prepping program. Tire prepping though out the week is to drop duro, or add bite, or keep tires good and fast. I would definitaly say try and figure out what most people run and then you can getting a better idea on prepping for what kind of tire you are running. What tire is most common at that track? Also besides tire prepping you will still need to flip and stagger tires every once in a while.

First off choose tires by what the track seems to want or what most people run. At my local track most people run maxxxis and a few on cobras but in this sport like most motorsports it takes money to go fast. I hate buying maxxis but if that is what it takes then that is what I will use. Internal is also one of the biggest essentials to tire prepping. Exterior prep wear off after a few laps and internal takes over and the stuff you wiped earlier in week. Get with a few guys at the local track and see. There are many people on here that could help you with tires. You mentioned maxxis el, burris, vega, maxxis and cobra. You will have to figure ut which is most commonly used at your local track. I mean in this sport I spend hours every week preparing tires. From internally prepping to externally prepping to flipping to sanding to sizing to mounting and everything you can think of. I mean it really depends on your competition on how in depth you will be in your tire prepping program. Tire prepping though out the week is to drop duro, or add bite, or keep tires good and fast. I would definitaly say try and figure out what most people run and then you can getting a better idea on prepping for what kind of tire you are running. What tire is most common at that track? Also besides tire prepping you will still need to flip and stagger tires every once in a while.

Mostly everyone uses Vega from what I could tell in Pred 400 but some guys also bring Burris.

By labeling your track as hard packed I will assume theres not a huge need for soft tires. Ive been running Maxxis and Burris punching about 50 when I get to the track and wipe with with either Venom Purple (hard) or Hot Lap Pro Bite on Maxxis and Burris 33s and have been very happy with the results.

Try a set of never prepped Burris 33's if they hook up it couldn't be any easier, keep them staggered wipe them with simple green, air em up and go. I be curious to know what track as well.

If Vegas are the dominant tire, don't bother with Maxxis or Cobras for sure. Burris are rarely fastest in an open tire choice, and Hoosier when you get as soft as a Vega Yellow is too much like Burris with a floppy sidewall.
Pick up some Vegas -- If you can, have them internally prepped where you purchase them -- Most internal preps are a one time application, ie you don't to internal them over and over again every week. You can wipe anything you want on the outside, from mild conditioners and bite additives to something harsh. Prep is determined moreso by what the track takes and how much bite you need.

If you have specific questions on our Vega (or any brand) tire program, give us a call at the shop. We'd be glad to help you with tires and prep to help you go faster.

🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

^ Then Vegas....2 ounces of our Pink Panther in the right sides, 1 ounce in the lefts. Aggressive PRW like our Monster Bite each time you hit the track - that's all you need. You can re-use the same tires all night long. Proven winning combination there.

🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

^ Then Vegas....2 ounces of our Pink Panther in the right sides, 1 ounce in the lefts. Aggressive PRW like our Monster Bite each time you hit the track - that's all you need. You can re-use the same tires all night long. Proven winning combination there.

🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
But how many races can I run them? The weekly lineup would be some hot laps, 2 (8 lap) heats, and 1 (20 lap) feature. I don't want to buy a new set every week.

Flat Run will not bite up enough to kill tires as a general rule. I start out with thick right sides and cut them thin(ner) and put our profile on them. You could get the whole season out of a set if you manage your tires well and the track doesn't veer from the norm. Of course, your mileage can vary, and new tires are almost always faster than used tires. I don't see/know of anyone throwing new tires on their karts there every week out, so I don't think you've got that to compete with.

Flat Run will not bite up enough to kill tires as a general rule. I start out with thick right sides and cut them thin(ner) and put our profile on them. You could get the whole season out of a set if you manage your tires well and the track doesn't veer from the norm. Of course, your mileage can vary, and new tires are almost always faster than used tires. I don't see/know of anyone throwing new tires on their karts there every week out, so I don't think you've got that to compete with.
Appreciate the tip!

That changes the ball game, you have a PM

Will check!

But how many races can I run them? The weekly lineup would be some hot laps, 2 (8 lap) heats, and 1 (20 lap) feature. I don't want to buy a new set every week.
You won't have to but new a lot once you figure it out probably good for entire season especially for predator class, it will either be Burris 11s or yellow Vegas thick, since you have to run double the air for predator I'd try 11s first especially if you have any, but check your PM we'll figure it out.

I used 11s when I was there earlier this year. Nathan can be beat and is more than willing to help you if you ask him. I never kept up on my kart for the feature due to working on my 2 son’s or I might have had a chance. I stayed within 5 kart lengths of him the last 5 laps after leading up to that point.

I used 11s when I was there earlier this year. Nathan can be beat and is more than willing to help you if you ask him. I never kept up on my kart for the feature due to working on my 2 son’s or I might have had a chance. I stayed within 5 kart lengths of him the last 5 laps after leading up to that point.

It's not even that I'm trying to dethrone anyone I just don't want to run dead last every week and not compete with anyone but I simply don't have the time to spend to prep the days leading up to the race.

It's so hard not being able to get practice anywhere in the area so we have no idea what to expect.

Back