Tire prep storage

OK2NV

Any suggestions on how to store tire prep so our trailer doesn't smell so bad? Currently we use plastic containers that can be resealed to pour small amounts of tire prep into between races but when we open the trailer up everything has that smell on it.

Not a-lot . Venalation , forced .
Any spills or tires or rags or conatiners that had or have had contact will emot the smell .
Could try masking with essential oils but its doubtful. After 15 years mine smells like a prep factory, its never not going too.

I like using old salsa jars. They reseal tight and the glass seems to handle any kind of prep without any adverse reactions. I use a paint brush to apply so the mouth of the jar is a perfect size for a 2” brush to get in it.

Any suggestions on how to store tire prep so our trailer doesn't smell so bad? Currently we use plastic containers that can be resealed to pour small amounts of tire prep into between races but when we open the trailer up everything has that smell on it.
Interesting what does it smell like?

The smell is likely coming more from your tires more than from the prep bottles themselves. As long as they are sealed, they should not have an odor.
I like metal cans better than plastic, but your prep supplier would know what is sufficient for long term storage of their chemicals.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Leaving your trailer sitting outside in the blistering heat will tend to make the smell worse. If you have roof vents leave them open unless it's going to rain. You may need to leave the doors open as much as possible to ventilate it. Or you could stick a box fan in the doorway blowing the inside of the trailer air outwards. This would be my suggestion. It won't take it 100% away but the smell won't take your breathe away either.

Storing prep cans and bottles is still going to emit enough smell to make the trailer smell bad. I store fairly large amounts of prep at once, but it's definitely going to stink after a while. Or smell good, depends on if you like the smell, lol!

Between tires and the cans/bottles and the pads or rollers you use to apply prep, if you haul tires in your trailer more than a few times you'll permanently have the smell in your trailer. It's just no way around it. You'd have to remove almost everything and paint and put down new flooring or paint on the floor to get the smell out. Not going to get around it honestly.

I know its horrible for me but I have to admit.... I love the smell.
methanol and prep. Ahhh the smell of speed!
and if you run where we do where we soak the snot out of them, prep is on your stand, tools, gloves, the fiberglass the chassis etc etc your clothes helmet you name it. im sure the lady at the Waffle House thinks we run a methlab from the smell we let off. If I ever get pulled over by the K9 unit after a race I'm gonna tell the cop.
"Oficer, if that dog sniffs this car, tomorrow morning your dog's gonna have cancer"

Last edited:
Yup, there is no doubt the dog is not going to be happy with the confusing smells coming off of every article of clothing or literally every part of the trailer and everything in it.

I as well enjoy the smell of most prep. But, dirty and half scraggly clothes on top of the smell, not to mention been up all day and night, you can bet they think we're cooking Meth. If you even remotely looked at a torch in the process that night, get ready for it to stay in that shirt and jeans for at least two wash cycles.. Most of us are a little crazy anyway, so we look, smell, and act like we've been cooking meth... ha.... how do we not go to jail after leaving a race?

Back