Tire Prep, Tire Cutting

Jcd3180

New to karting. Trying to decide between Pink Magic, Hi tech prep, or Nall. Have no knowledge on any of the three. Want to know what u guys suggest . I have already got feedback from a few of u guys. Thanks for that info. Down to these three. From what I hear the track we will be running is usually dry or dry slick . Also we will be in need of tire cutting. Any suggestions on who to go to for that ? Thanks!

if you are new to racing and never raced before, i would save some money and find good used tires and maybe one or 2 sets of new ones if you feel you really need them, and focus more on learning to drive the kart and chassis setup, that is where your speed is gonna come from. You can have the best tires in the world but until you can learn to drive, your really just wasting money on new cut tires as a beginner. I would try to find some of the big teams who sell their take off tires after big races and buy those tires, they are usually cut anyways and very low lap tires. Seat time is basically what you need more than anything else right now, then once you (or your driver) get the hang of it and start getting to where you can compete, thats when you need to upgrade your tire game to new tires. Your in the right way of thinking though

Don't take this as being harsh that is not the intent, intent is to save frustration and prepare ya better so you don't just throw your hands in the air and walk away from the sport, Your enthusiasm is great but it's the direction you take it that's going to end up a problem, meaning all of it towards COMPETITIVENESS you just got real good advise above from Weddle because your in for a huge learning curve that's going to take time and Patience and a lot of both, Because NO ONE can tell you at this point how long it will be until your driver will be ready to get competitive, I've helped Dozens and seen hundreds get started and they all react different and only seat time will tell ya when it's time to be asking questions your asking now, take Weddles advise SAVE your money now for when that time comes, I've herd it all before and one of the worst is I spent all this money to get lapped, Get a Smile on your face and a were just gonna have FUN attitude and hit the track every chance you get and Mentor, Mentor, Mentor then you will know when it's time to get competitive, Quickest way to push a new driver away from the sport is the mentor pushing the driver to quick to be competitive.

Welcome to the sport and Good Luck !!

Not to worried about the money. We have a decent amount of sponsors. I understand about the seat time. Believe me he will get plenty. Just was wondering what you guys used for prep and who cuts your tires. I am going to start him with the best equipment out there. Not wanting to play catch up. Seen several races where people could drive but had junk equipment that holds them back. Just not interested in going that route . If we get lapped, we get lapped. But we will get lapped in the best money can buy. No offense taken, just want the best for my child . If I can give it , then there is no reason why he shouldn't have it.

Not to worried about the money. We have a decent amount of sponsors. I understand about the seat time. Believe me he will get plenty. Just was wondering what you guys used for prep and who cuts your tires. I am going to start him with the best equipment out there. Not wanting to play catch up. Seen several races where people could drive but had junk equipment that holds them back. Just not interested in going that route . If we get lapped, we get lapped. But we will get lapped in the best money can buy. No offense taken, just want the best for my child . If I can give it , then there is no reason why he shouldn't have it.

Then I would be contacting Earl from Southern Comfort first and Discuss your program with him, Go to Tire forum you will find his info.

Good Luck !!

If any of the three choices you have narrowed it down to can also provide you with cuts, then I would seriously consider them for the final cut (No pun intended). If you can get your prep and your cuts from the same place then you have killed two birds with one stone. Slao will help on shipping costs. I don't believe you can go wrong with any of the three you have listed. I would just see if any of them can cut your tires as well.

im a track tac guy,i cut and prepare our own tires...you being new to the sport and being your first yr tires are the least of the learning curve right now,understanding the functions of a kart,seat placement,camber/caster settings,toe are what you need to learn first,understanding stagger how much and why,what leftside weight does to handling,to much nose and ect,tons of new folks think the softer the tire the more bite you have and that couldnt be more incorrect,you have to understand what bite/grip is.how much bite does the track have and how much bite a tire has to match a tracks surface,high bite tracks with to soft of tires with bite will result in a tire all chewed up,learning tires is probably the hardest most expensive headache there is,some pick up on tires quicker than others,some understand chassis dynamics quicker,do not confuse stockcar setups to kart setups they are way different and not even close in setups,been there done that...like the guys have said seat time is the most valuable tool to start off with,let him learn at his own pace,dont rush him...karting is for fun at this point so dont ruin it if he doest run well,make sure he's livin his dream of racing not your dream....theres a bond in karting that last a life time,asking questions no matter how silly you may think usually turn out to be the best questions,one final bit of advise!!!!!!!when you do finally learn tires DO NOT USE THE WIFES OVEN!!!!unless you plan to replace it or plan on a divorce...trust me on that.good luck and be safe

JCD3180 "... We have a decent amount of sponsors...."

WHAT!!??!!
You've got sponsors?
I'm jealous.

I would try to learn all I could about tires and not relegate it 100% to others.
Saw I guy who had a 'tire guy' who came to the race with him and made all the tire decisions. They ran really good until the day the tire guy didn't come.

It was not a pretty sight.
Poor guy couldn't get it together even with the tire guy on the other end of the phone telling him what to do.

Here is a great book on everything you need to know about tires, cutting and treating inside and out. It is called "Chemical atraction" By Todd Godwin another book that will help you is "Start fast By Godwin." It will open your understanding greatly. Know why you do what you do!
Amazon may have them - buy both.

Back