Tire Prep to use

intimidator3

Looking to expand my preps. I run burris 33s and vega yellows. I also have considered juicing some 55s. I would like to just stick to track tac preps or some universal prep that doesn't conflict with track tac products.

I currently just use black sand. I also just got some acrysol. I also use Jerry Welch's Pro Grip. I am not exactly sure what his Pro Grip exactly is though. It is red in color if that helps anyone though.

The track I run is dirt NOT clay. It is usually dry and only has one groove because the top groove is just loose dirt and you can't get any traction. Sometimes it just has no bite especially early on. The track typically gets faster as the night goes on though. I am thinking that since it is getting later in the season though that it may have more moisture than it has all year.

So here are the preps I have been considering. Track Tac's GK1 Blue, Topaz, Orange or Sapphire, Tire Tuff Mint, and just regular Goat Pee.

I have thought about taking an old set and just using goat only on it. Never used it but I have read that it hurts your tires but softens quickly if needed.

Any suggestions on whether orange or sapphire would be better for me or whether any other Track Tac product would be a better choice over the ones listed. I read that Mint and Sapphire were especially good for Vegas. Once again which ones would be best for me and how would you recommend mixing them or using them in combination?

You might also consider our Pink Panther prep for Burris and Vegas. It's a great conditioner, mild softener, and bite prep. I know there are a lot of "red" preps out there, but I don't think you'll find one that works quite the same as ours.

Black Sand is effective on dry dusty tracks if you give it enough cure time. Orange is ok when only a little bite is needed (PRW) and to help repel dust. Blue and Topaz are used to soften. Seems like nothing beats goat on soft wet tracks, or at least a goat mix. Pink Panther is a very versatile prep that will mix with goat for those extreme conditions and won't kill the tires as badly as straight goat.

Give me a call at the shop if I can be of more help with our preps and how they might interact with what you are already using.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

First I'd take the 33's and prep them the "dry" conditions. Then take the Vega's and prep them for "wet" conditions.

If you're for sure going to the Track Tac line you'll want to have these.

Gk1, Grape/Topaz, Black Sand for weekly preps.
Orange and Saphire, and SQS specificly for the track.

All the above preps should get you in the neighborhood and cover all conditions from the driest, to the wettest.
If you want specifics on how to use them all either call Track Tac or PM me. There are lots of talented people on here with the Track Tac line up. All of which will get you going. Specific application details will take a while to type out and explain, best if you contact someone for more details as they can probably give you specifics for the track and what the tires need. But, there are a few other preps I'd consider in the Track tac line with the tires you said. They all have their uses.

The man above can get you going, as I said some others can give you specifics for sure if you call as to what amounts to roll inside to get to the duro you need for each sets. And also help you with weekly routine and pretty close what to wipe at the track for certain conditions as well.

Id agree with ABR#69, Burris for the dry track and Vega's for wet. Iv had good results with GK1 blue on tracks that have moisture, i use it during the week if i know the track will be wet or keep moisture in it, and use the black sand during the week if i know it will be dry and/or dusty, the black sand is great for adding bite to the tires but it does take some time to cure properly. The TT Mint is really good stuff as well, i normally will use it once a month, mainly just to condition the tires and give them some bite. Always keep an extra set or 2 of tires on hand for when you need goat, there are times when the track calls for goat and it cannot be beat, but there is usually something else that will work better and not be as harsh on your tires if the track isnt just plain wet. Are you rolling the tires internally with anything?

Here is what i keep in the trailer, just to give you an idea:

GK1 blue, SQS, Black Sand, TT Mint, SAA Grape. Then i have Venom Blue, Black, Soak, and Pink. Along with Liquid Speed LS2 and LS3, and Goat. These are what goes with me to the track, i have alot more at home from a bunch of different companies. You just have to experiment and find out what is easiest for you to use and works for you and will give you the best results at your track/s. I will say, the Liquid Speed LS2 is my go-to prep for most conditions, followed by the Venom blue and black. The Venom soak works like Goat but isnt as harsh on the tires.

Thanks for the help. To your question about rolling, the answer is No. I don't roll prep internally because I dont have a tire roller or anything. Is there another way to effectively roll internally

^ You can dismount the tires and wipe several very thin coats internally. Very time consuming and you'd do better to save your pennies for a decent roller. :)
Of course you can needle prep down into the rubber from the outside, but internal prepping definitely has it's place.

Thanks for the help. To your question about rolling, the answer is No. I don't roll prep internally because I dont have a tire roller or anything. Is there another way to effectively roll internally

actually there are other ways, I have seen some weird ones to say the least. I remember awhile back, someone had figured out how to roll tires internally using his kart with tires mounted on the rear axle, a fan, and some kind of home made blades mounted to the axle somehow, so that the fan would blow and turn the blades, which would slowly turn the rear axle, which rolled the prep in the tires. How well it worked, I dont know, but it seems like it would work the same as a tire roller if you can make it roll slow enough, 5-7 revolutions per minute is ideal. Rebel Fabricators use to sell a cheap tire roller for around $100, I made one myself at home using a rotisserie grill motor, 8' piece of 1" round aluminum tubing cut in half, some skateboard wheel bearings and plywood frame, which works pretty well for me and never had a problem out of it. It ain't the prettiest, bit nobody sees it anyways so who cares?

actually there are other ways, I have seen some weird ones to say the least. I remember awhile back, someone had figured out how to roll tires internally using his kart with tires mounted on the rear axle, a fan, and some kind of home made blades mounted to the axle somehow, so that the fan would blow and turn the blades, which would slowly turn the rear axle, which rolled the prep in the tires. How well it worked, I dont know, but it seems like it would work the same as a tire roller if you can make it roll slow enough, 5-7 revolutions per minute is ideal. Rebel Fabricators use to sell a cheap tire roller for around $100, I made one myself at home using a rotisserie grill motor, 8' piece of 1" round aluminum tubing cut in half, some skateboard wheel bearings and plywood frame, which works pretty well for me and never had a problem out of it. It ain't the prettiest, bit nobody sees it anyways so who cares?
That's still pretty fast to turn the tires... Your wanting them to turn more like one revolution every 7 minutes or so.

And 33s you wouldn't want to internal prep them very much as they are a soft tire to begin with. I've put as much as 120cc in some of my maxxis . But never internal preped my burris . Should I ?

That's still pretty fast to turn the tires... Your wanting them to turn more like one revolution every 7 minutes or so.

your 100% right on the revolutions per minute, I somehow got that backwards. I just timed my roller with the rotisserie motor on it and it takes 5 1/2 minutes for a full rotation, can barely tell the tire is rolling.

And 33s you wouldn't want to internal prep them very much as they are a soft tire to begin with. I've put as much as 120cc in some of my maxxis . But never internal preped my burris . Should I ?

it depends on what your Track is like, Burris is all we run in Kentucky at most tracks, and if you aren't doing internal work on them here, you aren't fast or up front. I have rolled as much as 120cc before, but that was for low bite tracks. Usually 30-60cc is a good place to be at most of the tracks around here, mostly medium bite tracks

Looking to expand my preps. I run burris 33s and vega yellows. I also have considered juicing some 55s. I would like to just stick to track tac preps or some universal prep that doesn't conflict with track tac products.

I currently just use black sand. I also just got some acrysol. I also use Jerry Welch's Pro Grip. I am not exactly sure what his Pro Grip exactly is though. It is red in color if that helps anyone though.

The track I run is dirt NOT clay. It is usually dry and only has one groove because the top groove is just loose dirt and you can't get any traction. Sometimes it just has no bite especially early on. The track typically gets faster as the night goes on though. I am thinking that since it is getting later in the season though that it may have more moisture than it has all year.

So here are the preps I have been considering. Track Tac's GK1 Blue, Topaz, Orange or Sapphire, Tire Tuff Mint, and just regular Goat Pee.

I have thought about taking an old set and just using goat only on it. Never used it but I have read that it hurts your tires but softens quickly if needed.

Any suggestions on whether orange or sapphire would be better for me or whether any other Track Tac product would be a better choice over the ones listed. I read that Mint and Sapphire were especially good for Vegas. Once again which ones would be best for me and how would you recommend mixing them or using them in combination?

These make good reading anda good place to start.
Chris or I are always willing to help.

http://www.tracktac.com/pdf/Brochure.pdf
http://www.tracktac.com/pdf/FAQsheetforTrackTac.pdf

Call us, we are always willing to help.

All the best,
Randy

Back