Tire Prep

hokie6260

Looking to get back into karting with my son after a few year break. I’m trying to decide between dirt and asphalt. I’ve tried to find it in the track rules but couldn’t, are you allowed to prep tires on asphalt? Seems it’d be a way to keep costs down if you’re not allowed.

Looking to get back into karting with my son after a few year break. I’m trying to decide between dirt and asphalt. I’ve tried to find it in the track rules but couldn’t, are you allowed to prep tires on asphalt? Seems it’d be a way to keep costs down if you’re not allowed.

That depends on what prep you use and the purpose for using it.
At a popular sprint (road course) pavement track their spec tires fell off dramatically in lap times after just 2 race days. With cutting them just to half tread and internally prepping them, the lap times stayed consistent though 6-7 race days. The initial investment may have been slightly higher, but the return on investment clearly made up for it in the long run.
Controlling heat is the main goal of most pavement racers when using prep rather than adding bite.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back