Tire prep

JanGaLanG

So this is our first year racing and we have ran a beginner predator class with no prep. Wanting to get into it alittle bit before the year ends to learn before next year. Can somebody explain exactly what prep does to a tire. Another thing is we don have rolling kart stands we just push them up from out pits maybe 40 ft would pushing it through the grass hurt our prep? From what I can understand is it just makes the tires softer but when I talk to people at the track and they go into detail it's almost like they are speaking another language I just don't understand. I'm extremely uneducated on this so talk to me like I'm 10.

Where are you racing? Asking because somebody here on Bobs might know of a prep dealer that is in your area and have knowledge of your track and what works there. In answer to your questions about prep, probably most prep will soften your tires, yes, and different preps do it to different degrees. Softness is not the cure-all and can hurt you if it isnt called for. Some preps add bite without softening the tire much at all. Find a prep dealer and let him explain to you what your track calls for, why its needed, and how it works. Good luck!

Where are you racing? Asking because somebody here on Bobs might know of a prep dealer that is in your area and have knowledge of your track and what works there. In answer to your questions about prep, probably most prep will soften your tires, yes, and different preps do it to different degrees. Softness is not the cure-all and can hurt you if it isnt called for. Some preps add bite without softening the tire much at all. Find a prep dealer and let him explain to you what your track calls for, why its needed, and how it works. Good luck!
What does bite mean exactly? And yes there is a guy at the track that sells his own prep.

Prep can soften, add bite, make tire temps come in faster, control sidebite, forward bite, theres a number of things prep can do to help.
Prep when not used properly can also hurt the performance of the tire, and that takes years of experience to learn, and keep learning.
Theres just so much about tires to learn.

Get with a tire guy and talk to him about your track, tires, chassis, class, etc. as well as what your kart is currently lacking, (ie sidebite, roll speed, etc.)
There's a lot of ways that prep can help, but as Earl said, there's a lot of ways that it can hurt you as well.
A tire guy with experience can help shorten your learning curve and without the expense of buying 27 flavors of kool-aid.

We offer a very simple, yet effective prep line. 2 internals & 2 external preps.
If we can be of any help to you, please feel free to reach out to me on here through PMs, our facebook page, email, or phone call to the shop.
We'd be glad to help you.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com