tire prep

jaylc827

my tires have been falling off in the later stages off the race. I'm fast in the heat race and the first half of the feature. I was told that I have over prepped my tires and their actually heavy. has anyone heard off this and can I use tire wash to get the prep out. I run burris tires on dirt.

People tend to invent new words and phrases to explain things they don't understand. lol

Things like " my tires are falling off"!! What does that mean exactly?

Al, this is a common phrase for your lap times "falling off" (ie getting slower) due to the tires.

Question for the OP:
Is the car slower late in the run due to being locked down? (locked down is a common phrase to explain too much grip, Al, just in case you were to ask) Is the car slower due to a lack of grip late in the run?

Yes, tires can get prep-heavy, especially thick cut 33s, but typically that's not a reason for the car to slow later in a run. If they're prep-heavy, they'll be slow throughout the entire run with simply no roll speed. (roll speed is a common phrase for the ease that the car/tires roll on the track surface) Cleaning them all you want won't make much difference to the prep that is down in the rubber all ready -- you'll simply clean the outer surface. Time is your best friend to get those tires back, and realistically they will never be as fast as properly prepped tires. They might make a good candidate for wet track / goat tires in the future. (goat is a common word referring to a specific tire prep chemical used in soft/wet track applications)

My guess is that you do not have enough prep in the tires, but then again, we haven't gotten any details on how you've prepped, how much you've applied (inside and outside) and when you applied your prep. Are we talking about thick or thin cut tires. What are the track conditions like? Having the wrong profile tires on for the track conditions can cause the problem you are seeing as well.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back