TIRE PREPPING & CUTTING

Rickey

Sad to see young families get into Kart Racing only to find out that they have to spend a small fortune on tires and prep. Kids and adult racers want to run good not last. Family budgets don't have that kind of money. Do you folks want to save Karting and grow the sport ? It's so simple to fix a kid can figure it out. Racing bodies and promoters need to put rules in place that state NO tire prep of any kind No cutting of tires. Keep open tire rule in place so you can still run any brand or compound. Racers that cheat are band for 5 races and lose their tires. 2nd offense racer is band for the season. 1st. 2nd. and 3rd. place finishers must have tires tested and removed from the rims. If finishers refuse Tech they are band for 2 race seasons. It's called tough love. Racers will get the Message loud and clear. Simple isn't it. Should of happen 15 years ago. Remember this is a family sport, no big pay days.

That sounds like complete chaos as well as a complete disregard for children’s safety. There is no way in this age of plenty of power purple and blue plate engines would I want to see any kid out there on sticker tires. Just learn your track and what prep and prep schedule works for your track and only buy that prep. As far as tires go I’ve never bought a set of cuts yet. I race all season on two sets of tires. Last years hard tires for features and this seasons tires for heats. Stop throwing money away and sit down with knowledgeable people and learn the craft. I hate hearing the tire game getting bashed because people just go out and buy 8 sets of tires and $300 worth of random preps to make their team fast. Press reset and start over!

If they banned prep, we would just buy more new sets of tires, try keeping up with that.
No cutting? how do you plan to enforce that? my tires arent cut, they are pre-wore, prove otherwise
Prep helps tires last longer, get rid of prep will not help you win

If your not running up front with prep and think no prep rule will put you there your only fooling yourself.

I guess I'm confused how you can say that tire prep doesn't put people up front. Why do people pay big money for a tire guy if tires don't matter? I've personally seen a kid that could barely run mid pack for half the season get one of the best tire guys and win every race the second half of the season by at least half a track every time. His driving may have slightly improved with some coaching from this guy but not enough to warrant the drastic change in his results. Is it just the huge tire selection that these big teams have that give them such dominating results and not the prep they are choosing to use/knowledge of prep? I always thought it was a combination of both.

This is not a normal situation .
If you get one of the best in the business to help / hold your hand .
Quite a bit different then little Johnny buying a quart of the hottest prep at the track from the local Hot Shoe .
Yes it is a combination of tires and prep .
If I had 50 sets it would not help me cause I would pick the wrong ones .

I guess I'm confused how you can say that tire prep doesn't put people up front. Why do people pay big money for a tire guy if tires don't matter? I've personally seen a kid that could barely run mid pack for half the season get one of the best tire guys and win every race the second half of the season by at least half a track every time. His driving may have slightly improved with some coaching from this guy but not enough to warrant the drastic change in his results. Is it just the huge tire selection that these big teams have that give them such dominating results and not the prep they are choosing to use/knowledge of prep? I always thought it was a combination of both.
[/QUOTE}
You missed my point !! If they cannot figure it out with prep there not going to figure it out without, even If the track hands them the tires they still gotta tweek there chassis to be fast, POINT is the creams always coming to the top.

This is not a normal situation .
If you get one of the best in the business to help / hold your hand .
Quite a bit different then little Johnny buying a quart of the hottest prep at the track from the local Hot Shoe .
Yes it is a combination of tires and prep .
If I had 50 sets it would not help me cause I would pick the wrong ones .

Sadly it seems to be becoming the norm in my area (Southeast.) It used to mainly be just the big races that these teams would go to but lately they even trickle over into the local Saturday night races. Liberty is having a local race but with decent payout in a couple classes and I guarantee there will be big teams with racers in every class, including the kid's classes down to Red Plate.

Trust me it happens everywhere .
Still It takes a bit of dedication, expertise and an abundance of cash helps .

Its not the tire prep that put him up front. Its the process with the tires and the knowledge of knowing what set to put on. Most tire guys keep it really simple when it comes to prep, they choose tire selection not a change in tire prep. There is no magic prep, most people are using the same stuff just using it differently.

Back