Tire pressure

When the weather starts to get a little colder, maybe in the 40-60 temp range, what tire pressure should I try? I was thinking around the 17 psi mark. I was running some laps recently and I had the tires set at 15 front, 14 back, temps 55-60, and the kart was sliding all over the place.

These guys are not right. As the track cools you want a smaller contact patch so that the tires can get to temp. Try 2 to 3 psi higher than you would when its 80f.

The local club tire is a Bridgestone YDS.
They often have a durometer reading of 70, especially when cold.
When the temp goes down the tire pressure goes up! Put more air in the tires!

I think the answer to the original question is:
1. Tire specific
2. Chassis specific
We have had better grip in the cold with some tires when we add air and other tires lowering air. If you inflate the tire too much and you lose contact patch, it could free the kart up more even though your tire heats up (maybe only in the center). Lowering pressure might give you more tire contact to work with even though the tire is cooler. What I'm getting at is that you need to try going one direction first and if it gets worse, go the opposite direction. I also believe that going three pounds from your known baseline is too much. I recommend you start with 12 lbs front and rear with the MG red tires at GoPro.

...or have them cut to build temp quicker (and cool quicker.)
You could prep them internally also...but most tracks do not allow prepping.

I've found that lower pressures build tire temperature quicker (most of the time.)
I think it depends a lot on your center of gravity, chassis design, tire used, sidewall stiffness, air vs. nitrogen, and probably many more things that escape my mind at the moment.

Bottom line, do what works for you.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I agree with Brian but want to add one more issue related to what he mentioned (sidewall stiffness). Included should be rim widths which effectively changes sidewall stiffness.

And on second thought, axle stiffness, hub length, hub location from axle hangars, and like Brian said, many other things come into play. Many people try to jump to tire pressures right off the bat when no matter what they do with pressures, something else is creating the handling issues.

Experience plays in this equation also.
Try both high and low air pressure.
Running practice days using a tire prep to soften and or add grip is a good idea.
Do you have any other tires ?
The one sprint track we went too had a bin of tires the other racers tossed in their take offs .
Your tires may have plenty of tread but still old and dry. Prep or new /different tires are worth a bit of effort.

Flattop
Where is this track with a bin i can throw my old tires in. I have a few i'd be willing to donate. :)

Okay : it was a long while back.
Quite possible it's a cornfied now.
Marshalltown , Iowa
I took a truck load:)

Experience plays in this equation also.
Try both high and low air pressure.
Running practice days using a tire prep to soften and or add grip is a good idea.
Do you have any other tires ?
The one sprint track we went too had a bin of tires the other racers tossed in their take offs .
Your tires may have plenty of tread but still old and dry. Prep or new /different tires are worth a bit of effort.

Yes, I have other tires. GoPro has a tire bin also. That's where I get my tires from. I usually look in the bin after race days. Yu would be surprised how many people get rid of tires after only 1 day of use. I can change and put on a different set.

- - - Updated - - -

Flattop
Where is this track with a bin i can throw my old tires in. I have a few i'd be willing to donate. :)

GoPro has one.

Back