Tire psi on cut or treated tires

Hopper

Many "cut" or "treated" tires reduce the tire temps. For example hot lap ii claims it reduces tire temps by 18 to 20 degrees. Do you adjust air pressures higher so the tire does not come in too early?

Many "cut" or "treated" tires reduce the tire temps. For example hot lap ii claims it reduces tire temps by 18 to 20 degrees. Do you adjust air pressures higher so the tire does not come in too early?

The whole theory behind reducing tire temps was originally stated for stock car tires not go kart tires. Its doing that in a stock car by reducing tire spin. If you are racing go karts you wont see a difference in tire temps, we like heat.

Basic answer = no.
No adjustments.
I'll disagree with Chris, to an extent.
You can definitely have too much heat in a kart tire. Lock a kart down and see what it does to tire temps. Pavement & dirt kart tires are affected by heat. CONTROLLING these temps are what we're concerned about. Building heat as quick as possible, then maintaining that heat without overheating the tires.
Our Medium Rare internal does a great job of doing just that - for pavement, or for high bite dirt racing.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thats crazy, Ive never seen tire temps on kart tires over 150 degrees. If you have the correct tire on then heat will not lock it down. You can lock a kart tire down with too soft of tire, too much rubber, wrong prep but I wouldnt consider that heat related. Tires should be able to operate at over 200 degrees, way more than you would see in a kart tire.

Thats crazy, Ive never seen tire temps on kart tires over 150 degrees. If you have the correct tire on then heat will not lock it down. You can lock a kart tire down with too soft of tire, too much rubber, wrong prep but I wouldnt consider that heat related. Tires should be able to operate at over 200 degrees, way more than you would see in a kart tire.
Correct your not locking any kart tire down based on only air pressure !!

Chris, I think you missed my point.
"Lock a kart down and see what it does to tire temps." ie it increases.
The heat is a "result" of being locked down...it isn't the cause.
We rarely see wheel spin in a kart (stock classes anyhow.)
However, we've all seen a kart locked down from prep, long before the tire ever gets up to prime operating temp.
Totally agree that 200* is way higher than kart tires should ever see.
135* has been a point of heat degradation in many kart tire tests we've been a part of.

According to MG 176 degrees is optimum?
Screenshot_20201223-113922_Chrome.jpg

Back