tire rack

I made some plates out of an old broken diamond plate tool box i had, and used 10' lengths of 1" steel tubing i had laying around....here are some pics. Have safety clips on each end of the pipe so they cant pull thru the plate and fall. Each rack will hold 5 sets of right sides or 3 sets of right sides with left rear, or 12 left side tires. I put all my right sides on the top rack and lefts on the bottom rack. If you look in the back of the trailer in the 2nd pic, you can see a black vertical engine rack that holds 3 engines also, another good idea for any trailer and comes very handy.

WP_20140616_013_zpsblfu6izv.jpg

WP_20140618_002_zpstefqc9c6.jpg

Those are nice racks, you did a good job, but I have seen those available already made up just like yours. What a great idea. I don't remember where I saw those, but anything that's for karting can most likely be found at Comet Kart Sales.

Those are nice racks, you did a good job, but I have seen those available already made up just like yours. What a great idea. I don't remember where I saw those, but anything that's for karting can most likely be found at Comet Kart Sales.

Why spend the money if you already have materials laying around to make it with? Some of us prefer to make our own stuff than to go out and buy it, leaves you feeling better about doing it on your own. I understand that some dont have the time or the ability though, nothing wrong with that either. He did ask for idea's on fabbing one himself though, which is why i posted mine, idea's. Conduit will bend easier if you dont have support plates in the middle, like the bottom one in my pic has 3. The steel will bend slightly but hardly enough to notice and not enough to let the tires fall out or anything. Works pretty well, but was all just stuff i had laying around

Why spend the money if you already have materials laying around to make it with?

I'm like you, I usually have a lot more time than money. lol Bending those plates and punching those 1 inch holes along with cutting the plates to size is not something everybody can do. Not saying it's all that hard to do, but you do need the equipment.

I actually cut them that way, the bends where the corners are used to be the edges of the tool box, i just cut them to the shape i needed with a die grinder then folded over the front edge so it would be blunt and i wouldnt get cut if i ran into it in a hurry lol. No heavy equipment used at all other than the little die grinder and a drill to punch out the holes. They are actually 1 1/8" holes to fit the 1" pipe thru them. You are right though, i have more time than anything else so i put it to good use lol.

Tools required: Grinder with cutoff wheel, drill with hole bits (not sure the proper term lol), tape measure and marker. This can be done with pretty much any old diamond plate tool box or even some 1/8-1/4" thick aluminum or steel sheet metal. Have seen guys use steel also but it is heavier and i was worried the weight might pull the screws out of the wall. Mine are mounted using regular old 3/4" wood screws into the wall. I used the tires to come up with the spacing pattern for the tubing in the plates, just layed a plate flat down and sit the rim on top, then marked where i wanted my pipe to go....i kept in mind that i wanted the back wall to be part of the support so i didnt need 3 pipes, just seemed easier that way. I like seeing people do things themselves instead of store bought stuff.

I have the plates in stock.. three plates are needed for 10 feet of length.. My plates require three peices of conduit that you would buy from home depot.. $15.00 each.

call (989) 205-9422
Jerry (Pro 1 kart and supply)

Back