Tire Refinishing Questions

jdog17

Roughly how many times can you refinish tires before they are no good anymore, let's say I do it once every two weeks. Looking for an approximate number.

I don't have a machine to spin the tire but have all the other tools needed. Could I just mount them to the back of the kart and have it on and spinning when I do it, or is there another ideal way of doing it without the automated machine?

Having an automated machine is the ideal (and only proper) way of doing it.

You need to be able to rotate the tire at a consistent slow speed in order to keep heat at a minimum, and surface the tire evenly.

It does not cost much to create a crude resurfacing machine.

^^^ all true .
It has been done the old school way plenty of times .
An old bent axle cut the bent part off a hub , electric motor, a pair of pullys and a drop cord . Bearings either ball/ cassette type . Or a 2/4 with 1 1/4 " holes drilled in it .

As far as how many times you can resurface a tire, that's impossible to say. Some tires like Maxxis you could never get to the resurface and they're already junk. Vega, Burris, Hoosier all will last a VERY long time when properly maintained. I'll definitely say you take more rubber off from surfacing than wear on the track. So yes it does decrease the life of the tire. Depending on how the tire is ran, if it shows wear, if it feathers, blisters, or just grains up. All have different depths and will have to be addressed. Ultimately there is no way of saying. Generally the tire is no good when it no longer produces speed for the conditions they're meant to be run. Which is an entirely different subject and is almost as infinitely hard to say.

I've seen Vega and Burris, and some of the older Hoosiers that were ran down to the cords showing and as long as they held air were still fast, as long as they were run in optimal conditions for that specific set of tires.

There is no right or wrong answer. Refinish them when they’re grained or rough. Don’t overthink it. You can spend your time on more important things like stagger and duro. Make sure you’re flipping the tires in cycles and that will extend the life of the tire.

There is no set amount of times that a tire can be refinished. Refinish them as often as necessary. When you run out of rubber, or the tires are no longer fast, then it's time to get some new tires. With some brands and compounds, older tires can still be fast, while with others you'll want fresh(er) rubber. Tread depth plays a large part in how the tire works on the track as well. Sometimes you want thin rubber, sometimes you want thick rubber. Don't pitch them when they get thin - just understand that they may not be what works best for specific track conditions.
I'm convinced that you can never have too many tires or a trailer and shop big enough. There's always a want for "more." It's an addiction worse than alcohol or drugs. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back