Tire resurfacer

JDRACE

How important is a tire resurfacer? Can tires just be resurfaced on the kart or is it that much better to resurface on a machine? Running on asphalt with yellow vegas.

Most tire machines dont turn particularly fast, the ones i have turn about 400 rpm. Yes you could do it on the kart if you dont mind doing the gear work to hit 400 rpm axle speed at an idle, will risk fouling a spark plug while idling an extended time. Oh, and the rubber covering the areas of your kart nearby. The tire doesnt care whats turning it.

Either way, you'll want to scrape pavement tires with a heat gun prior to sanding them.
The machine just makes it much easier to do and to get a uniform finish.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I have one of those heatgun attachments in the shop somewhere, really helps

Either way, you'll want to scrape pavement tires with a heat gun prior to sanding them.
The machine just makes it much easier to do and to get a uniform finish.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Thanks, can you recommend what grit to use on yellow Vegas, asphalt? Did I see 220 followed by 400?

Thanks, can you recommend what grit to use on yellow Vegas, asphalt? Did I see 220 followed by 400?
That fine will work if the tires aren’t all feathered after heat gunning them. I’ve started with 40 before 😉

How important is a tire resurfacer? Can tires just be resurfaced on the kart or is it that much better to resurface on a machine? Running on asphalt with yellow vegas.
The can be done on the rear axle . With the grinder doing the spinning .
There is a technique to it . Hold the grinder at about a 30* angle vary the pressure , angle and speed across the tire . If its spinng too fast that's bad , adjust angle . A helper to spray windex would be benifical .

I used a threaded rod about 3 foot long 3 nuts put one nut on first then and old hub then double nut then I fasten down with 3-4 hose clamps to my tire rack with about 14 inches or so sticking off the end using flattops technique it worked pretty good kept all that rubber off the kart

Back