Tire resurfacing

Prcfan11

I’ve got a question about tire resurfacing. What grit do you guys recommend and what do you guys spray on the tire to keep it cool?

I go with as fine as possible to start to get the feather out. Sadly sometimes that's 80 grit to start. I try and start around 150 if possible. Where I races last weekend I'll be able to start at 240. Normally I go 150,240,320 but sometimes the 80 comes before the 150. I spray them with 50/50 water and methanol. I throw some simple green in as well probably 5oz maybe a little more.

I go with as fine as possible to start to get the feather out. Sadly sometimes that's 80 grit to start. I try and start around 150 if possible. Where I races last weekend I'll be able to start at 240. Normally I go 150,240,320 but sometimes the 80 comes before the 150. I spray them with 50/50 water and methanol. I throw some simple green in as well probably 5oz maybe a little more.
This is one of the better ways I've seen it explained. Start with the finest grit that you can get the feathering out when refinishing.

But, personally really depends on the conditions. Softer, wetter tracks generally could take a lower grit to help build heat.
So 80 and finish 120 for really soft tracks. (And, I mean like back yard or super wet tracks) 120 finish 240 for medium bite, and 240 finish 320 if you're on higher bite is the way I look at it. But, go down as low as you need to remove feathering in about two passes, then determine your final finish based on your track conditions you plan to see. This is mainly assuming Burris, if we're refinishing Maxxis It's generally 240-320. And this is because we only run Maxxis on higher bite stuff. But, this broadly fits all brands.

(Edit) I used any window cleaner as long as it doesn't have amonia in it. Now my surfacer is a Tire washer/surfacer that runs the tire in water. So I surface then wash the tire. Saves me time.

Last edited:
Maxxis, to just refinish a tire, ill go 400 and 600. I do it by hand, no grinder/buffer.
You just want to get the old rubber off, and ill use Simple Green/methanol/water blend to keep cool. If im out of Simple Green, some Dawn works well also.

Good advice from several good folks above.
Another "generality" is softer tires, courser grit.
When we refinish soft tires for soft tracks, a course grit can leave some deeper cuts/sipes in the tires to help them build heat and to get the prep down in them better.
When we plateau finish a tire, the different angles and finer grits will actually make the surface smoother and flatter. Rarely do we go as fine of grit with soft Burris, Hoosier, and Vegas (the exception being syrup tracks) since they have more natural gum rubber in them. Going too fine of grit can build heat quickly and smear the rubber (or make it gummy.) Synthetic tires can do this too, just that they will get shiny rather than gummy. Since Maxxis are almost always run on harder tracks, we'll finish them with considerably finer grits that we do soft tires.

Vector Cutz Plateau Finish.jpeg

This is a new 2022 Burris 33 just cut and plateau finished with 120&240. For most tracks, that will be fine enough. You can still see some of the cutter marks, then 2 angles of the belt sander with 2 different grits applied.
When we're finished with a Maxxis or any tire for a hard track, it'll be finished much smoother than this.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

This is one of the better ways I've seen it explained. Start with the finest grit that you can get the feathering out when refinishing.

But, personally really depends on the conditions. Softer, wetter tracks generally could take a lower grit to help build heat.
So 80 and finish 120 for really soft tracks. (And, I mean like back yard or super wet tracks) 120 finish 240 for medium bite, and 240 finish 320 if you're on higher bite is the way I look at it. But, go down as low as you need to remove feathering in about two passes, then determine your final finish based on your track conditions you plan to see. This is mainly assuming Burris, if we're refinishing Maxxis It's generally 240-320. And this is because we only run Maxxis on higher bite stuff. But, this broadly fits all brands.

(Edit) I used any window cleaner as long as it doesn't have amonia in it. Now my surfacer is a Tire washer/surfacer that runs the tire in water. So I surface then wash the tire. Saves me time.
Could you share a pic of your set up? I've been thinking about doing something along that line also and incorporate a tool rest for needling.

I use 120 grit with straight methanol using a buffing wheel, for a nice polish 200-400. I converted an air blower into a sprayer then attached it on to my grinder. I have a 1/4" fuel line thats hooked up onto a roundup pressurized bottle (Full of methanol)

Good advice from several good folks above.
Another "generality" is softer tires, courser grit.
When we refinish soft tires for soft tracks, a course grit can leave some deeper cuts/sipes in the tires to help them build heat and to get the prep down in them better.
When we plateau finish a tire, the different angles and finer grits will actually make the surface smoother and flatter. Rarely do we go as fine of grit with soft Burris, Hoosier, and Vegas (the exception being syrup tracks) since they have more natural gum rubber in them. Going too fine of grit can build heat quickly and smear the rubber (or make it gummy.) Synthetic tires can do this too, just that they will get shiny rather than gummy. Since Maxxis are almost always run on harder tracks, we'll finish them with considerably finer grits that we do soft tires.

View attachment 22778
This is a new 2022 Burris 33 just cut and plateau finished with 120&240. For most tracks, that will be fine enough. You can still see some of the cutter marks, then 2 angles of the belt sander with 2 different grits applied.
When we're finished with a Maxxis or any tire for a hard track, it'll be finished much smoother than this.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
The harder the track (or even asphalt for that matter) the finer grit and smoother finish you want?

The harder the track (or even asphalt for that matter) the finer grit and smoother finish you want?
That's the way I do it. BUT, our tires always "appear" finished courser since I do a plateau finish on them (progressively finer grits) at different angles. The surface RA is much finer than it appears.

We run them @ 160 RPM and have had good results (belt sander 80-240 grit). Also use Dawn and water for cooling.

Back