Tire selection for open tire rule?

pintodave

Hello all, my kart experience/knowledge is very limited. Not sure if this should be in the Noob forum, but it's tire related so I'll put it here. Question regarding what direction to go for an open tire class?

TL;DR - Is there a clear standout for open tire rules?

Track: it's a "backyard" event but it's a well-prepped track that is being groomed, watered, etc. Located in Florida and using clay from the same supplier that delivers to Volusia Speedway. Bullring in size.

Kart: I was running an older unknown chassis that was a hodgepodge and it was still reasonably competitive. Last event I bought a set of Vega Yellows. The guys up front were both on treaded Burris. I slung the chain a couple of laps into the feature so no idea how the race would have shaken out with the new Yellows on my kart VS the Burris. I finally made the leap and bought a real chassis (Minecon) so the next question is, stick with the Yellows?

Happy to finally have a kart that I can participate at other Central FL tracks :D

Which tires are fastest depends on how good, or bad, the track is. A real good track, a treaded tire will be lapped by a slick tire, and either Vega or Maxxis will be tire of choice in Fl.
When Volusia was using the sealer, a treaded tire wouldnt have lasted 10 laps before worn out being as hard as the track was.
99% of the time, a slick will outrun a treaded tire if you know how to properly prep said tire and set up the kart.

Everything that Earl said is spot on -- Let me add, that if this is a backyard track, I'm going to guess that it has relatively few karts and if a few guys are running treads now, that the track never packs down firm and tight to where it gets a clean racing line. If the track ever gets clean (no marbles in the racing groove,) then Vegas will be great. If marbles remain in the groove, then you'll almost have to resort to treaded tires or groove at least the right side Yellows that you are running now.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thank you for the responses guys! Obviously like any dirt track the conditions change, it's hard to keep moisture in the track but for some context here are a few shots from the last event. It was watered a couple of times throughout the night.

track2.png

track3.png

track4.png

Ha. I thought of that as well... Then I can make my selection based on track conditions. If there is one thing I've learned in racing over the years, it's that copious amounts of money generally solve most issues 😂
It does make thing easier .
As far as treads .
its been stated many times the big 12/9/6 tires are too big . for the right sides , which is generally true .
although thats what we ran with 11/6/6 on the left copiuos amont of stagger ,so tranfer to a slick make a big setup change .
Pay good attention to the sizes most are using . Honestly i would run a size thats most similar to a slick setup . even if they are a little less wide 36 inchs of roll out is pretty big not to mention the gear set you will need .

Or get a good set of slicks with decent amount of rubber and groove them yourself. Tedious=yes but then you can make them the tread depth you are wanting. Just a suggestion

Or get a good set of slicks with decent amount of rubber and groove them yourself. Tedious=yes but then you can make them the tread depth you are wanting. Just a suggestion

I have some super low lap Yellows.... Like less than 20 laps. That would be viable, but I need to research tire siping, I'm an asphalt guy lol. If you have any literature or YouTube vids for guidance, please share. I need to learn about this.

To the insurance comment, I talked to him about that previously. That is super important. This race is becoming enough of a "thing" that he needs to be on top of the asset protection side of this... I'll reach out and see where he is on that. "It's all good" - until it isn't.

Siping and grooving are two different things .
Siping uses a razor blade like tool
It makes a small cut
Grooving uses a heated metal strip to cut a open groove .

Siping and grooving are two different things .
Siping uses a razor blade like tool
It makes a small cut
Grooving uses a heated metal strip to cut a open groove .
See?? Thanks for clarifying the difference, I told you guys I have no clue lol. I'll give it some research!!

If you are needing grooved tires, then consider the smaller Hoosier sets that we sell so you can keep the ride height and car set-up the same with 34" right side grooved tires. We also offer grooved tire cutting if that is something that interests you.

650D30A.jpg

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407