Tire Selection question

jstrawser

is it a no no to run different compounds on the rear ,,,ie ss-11s all the way around except for a ss-22 on the right rear in any situation .or maybe a little harder tire on the left rear to loosen kart just a little ?? just wondering .

is it a no no to run different compounds on the rear ,,,ie ss-11s all the way around except for a ss-22 on the right rear in any situation .or maybe a little harder tire on the left rear to loosen kart just a little ?? just wondering .

If you know your kart is RR tight putting a 22 on the RR would help, If you have a push middle off because you are Lt r tight yes a 22 on the lt r might help, a track like ours BANKED remember the clear bottom will hold more moisture so there have been plenty of times the groove if good less grip on bottom so guy's have won with 11's on the left and 22's on the right. Rescaling would be proper fix but yes you could run a 22 on the RR.

I would try an air pressure change to test it first if more air helps an harder compound may be worth trying and the same for less air testing for an softer tire ... This is no a sure thing just an guide in an direction

Think it is called raceing the track only way to see if this works is to try it then youuuu will know

I would try an air pressure change to test it first if more air helps an harder compound may be worth trying and the same for less air testing for an softer tire ... This is no a sure thing just an guide in an direction

i agree. but you have to determine how much of an adjustment you need. for me, air pressure is a "small" adjustment. changing tire compound is a "large" adjustment. i determine what scale to go by a few things; i probably wouldn't go to a harder compound unless i saw tire wear and/or a decrease in lap times/grip at the end of a race. that said, its quite common to use different compounds on L and R

PS - first post here in a while and with new UN. good to be back :)

I think it would be a mistake to think you had to run the same compound all around, all the time. Seeing as how the RR is taking the most load in the turn, I would think some experimentation would be in order. Not that I know, but it seems apparent, because the RR is taking the most load, different compounds and different pressures could help.

I find it interesting that people recommend curing a handling problem by making the LR slip more. Isn't the whole point, of the LTO kart, to make the inside tire grip more? If it's slipping, it's not biting near as good as if it was not slipping. That's the whole point of non-slip breaks. A slipping tire has a lot less traction than a rolling tire.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Not only do we use different compounds, but we also use different air pressures, different preps and different amounts on different tires, often these things are changed at the track.

I find it interesting that people recommend curing a handling problem by making the LR slip more. Isn't the whole point, of the LTO kart, to make the inside tire grip more? If it's slipping, it's not biting near as good as if it was not slipping. That's the whole point of non-slip breaks. A slipping tire has a lot less traction than a rolling tire.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

"Isn't the whole point, of the LTO kart, to make the inside tire grip more?"

i dont think so, due to what you stated in the previous paragraph: the RR takes on most of the load and can be positioned on a part of the track with less grip, so to prevent slipping, the RR would require more grip than the LR. if both rear tires are at "equal grip" i believe you are "rear tight" (understeer) and the kart will not turn.

why do we run the caster and cross (or wedge) weights we do? why are chassis built the way they are, especially in that area behind the seat and between the bearings? it has a lot to do with unloading the LR. to me your question sounds like you have to choose between premium grip or none at the LR. with most things, its about finding the correct balance in the gray area

I think it would be a mistake to think you had to run the same compound all around, all the time. Seeing as how the RR is taking the most load in the turn, I would think some experimentation would be in order. Not that I know, but it seems apparent, because the RR is taking the most load, different compounds and different pressures could help.

(Al Nunley)

Al,

It's just different people's theories.
There are a bunch of them about which tire is doing what and why some responses contradict theirselves.
It's all opinions, nothing more, nothing less.

Back