Tire Size Help For Beginner

Hello there, we are new to the karting world and bought a Predator 212CC flat kart that we would like to buy new tires for. Problem is we are having huge problems understanding what our options are and where to find some online.

All 4 tires on the kart are currently Hoosiers and this is what the sizes read:

Front Left - 33.0/4.5-6
Back Left - 11.0x6.0-6
Front & Back Right - 11.0x8.1-6

I haven't been able to replicate these sizes online when looking for what to buy. I was looking at some MAXXIS options. I would appreciate any help in regard to what size tires would fit the kart?

Also, looking into buying new wheels and spare tires to have. What size wheels would I need to buy to replicate what I have on the kart now?

Before buying tires, I suggest going to the tracks you plan to race and see what others are running. They could have a tire rule, so you need to insure you have the correct tires to be legal. Most Run Burris or Maxxis, some run Vega. It all depends if you have a tire rule or not for the track. Then talk to them and possibly get an idea as to where they buy their tires and potentially might have some good used stuff for sale if they are Burris or Vega. If the track is primarily Maxxis you are better off buying new most likely.

Those are the typical sizes for tires for dirt oval. All wheels are 6" diameter.

4.50 width tire, on 6.5 width wheel
6.00 width tire on 8.25" or 8.50 wheel
8.00 or Maxxis are 9.00 on 10" wide wheel

Last edited:
Before buying tires, I suggest going to the tracks you plan to race and see what others are running. They could have a tire rule, so you need to insure you have the correct tires to be legal. Most Run Burris or Maxxis, some run Vega. It all depends if you have a tire rule or not for the track. Then talk to them and possibly get an idea as to where they buy their tires and potentially might have some good used stuff for sale if they are Burris or Vega. If the track is primarily Maxxis you are better off buying new most likely.

Those are the typical sizes for tires for dirt oval. All wheels are 6" diameter.

4.50 width tire, on 6.5 width wheel
6.00 width tire on 8.25" or 8.50 wheel
8.00 or Maxxis are 9.00 on 10" wide wheel

It's an open tire track but yes I'll be going to see what everyone else runs.

We have those Hoosier tires in stock. What has happened is that the nomenclature (the sizes molded into the sidewall) has changed (specifically on the LF) since those tires were made (approx 10 years ago. Hoosier abandoned the "big car" way of naming their kart tire sizes after the first couple of years of production since it caused kart racers confusion. The "33" simply refers to the roll-out, or circumference, of the tire. Today it is referred to as a "10.5," referring to the diameter.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

You don't want to use those unless you just absolutely have to. They aren't very good.

I'd suggest you find out what is fast at the tracks you decide to run and don't waste money on tires you can't use.

You don't want to use those unless you just absolutely have to. They aren't very good.

I'd suggest you find out what is fast at the tracks you decide to run and don't waste money on tires you can't use.
Are MAXXIS EL not a good tire to run? What about HT3. I notice people at my local track running pretty much anything. It is a super small town track. The Predator 350 only gets 6 karts a week and the Predator 400 only gets 4. I see some Hoosier, some MAXXIS, and some off brand stuff that people have been running for awhile.

Back