Tire Size Question - Maxxis Right sides

jscholt

Maxxis Pinks/Blues Question - Is there a disadvantage of having the right side tires smaller than 34"? Mounting some new ones and they are measuring at 33", attempted to grow but not gaining anything. So as long as the Stagger is set right based on what is needed per the track, is there any disadvantage to not having the rights (industry standard) at 34"?

Maxxis Pinks/Blues Question - Is there a disadvantage of having the right side tires smaller than 34"? Mounting some new ones and they are measuring at 33", attempted to grow but not gaining anything. So as long as the Stagger is set right based on what is needed per the track, is there any disadvantage to not having the rights (industry standard) at 34"?
in my opinion you’re giving up 1 inch of roll every time the axle makes a complete turn

Grow the right sides with heat and pressure

Last edited:
I find it easier to grow tires than to shrink them. I use a propane grill. I inflate until I have the size I want, put it in the grill at 400, typically 3-4 minutes per side depending on how much to grow them, and pull them out and check the circumference of them, I then adjust the air to let them cool down at just over the size I am searching for. It takes time to get better at growing and shrinking them, but you can easily grow them.

New Maxxis right sides are difficult to size accurately unless you scuff them. I would caution throwing them in the oven too many times because you're unnaturally heat cycling the tire.

After mounting and rolling inside prep, put around 40-60psi in them and leave them (4-5 days) until its time to scuff in hotlaps. Worry about sizing after scuffing because then the tire is much more pliable.

Last edited:
My preference is to use a hotbox…set it at 100-110
Over inflate the tire by whatever amount it’s under sized (ie tire measures 33.5, inflate until it measures 34.5)
Put in hotbox for 20-30 minutes, take out, let cool, re-check size at Race pressure

Last edited:
33" right side Maxxis! Woo-wheee! You've got your work cut out for you. Did you mount these on wider than 10" wheels, used internally prepped tires that sat dismounted for a long time, or ??? I've never had one mount that small (yet.)
Be careful trying to stretch them that much (an inch is a ton.) Putting a ton of air in them and getting them hot is a good way to break (rather than stretch) the webbing in the tire.
You WILL need to stretch them though -- not just for factory ride height... your kart doesn't have enough frame/ground clearance to run a 31 1/2" LF!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back