Tire Stagger

Mrdavid78

I know this question can go all over the board but here goes.. What do yall "normally" run for tire stagger -on burriss 33s - clay/dirt oval - 1/10th of a mile or less. With track surfaces varing..

measured across the infield, measure the width of the track, measure the width of your rear end, the width of both tires, it can then be calculated. maybe not exactly, but very very close. Much better than guessing.

Attachments

• aaa stagger_1 50.jpg
    aaa stagger_1 50.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 64
That much huh ?? Is that what u run for front & back ??
...and I wouldn't be afraid to even run more rear stagger, depending on how the kart was turning in.
There are a couple 1/10 mi. tracks (backyard) that we've worked with guys that are successfully running 2 - 2 1/4" inches of rear stagger. The trouble becomes getting the LR small enough at that point. 1 1/2" would be the minimum I would expect to run on that small of a track, as we run that much on considerably larger tracks.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

...and I wouldn't be afraid to even run more rear stagger, depending on how the kart was turning in.
There are a couple 1/10 mi. tracks (backyard) that we've worked with guys that are successfully running 2 - 2 1/4" inches of rear stagger. The trouble becomes getting the LR small enough at that point. 1 1/2" would be the minimum I would expect to run on that small of a track, as we run that much on considerably larger tracks.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
LF for LR 😉

LF for LR 😉
Yea, but then you lose some drive up off the corner. 8 3/4" wheel and heat/cold shrink the snot out of them and you'll eventually get there with a 6.00. I haven't tried a 2021 LR that small yet. Every one I've mounted so far has been slightly big (33" on 8 1/2".)

Not meaning to hijack this thread but to achieve that much stagger, do you buy different diameter tires or run the inside tires air pressure much lower? Our track has a rule that the outer right re3ar tire can not exceed 34.5 inch diameter so in order to get some stagger I fill that sucker with as much air to get the allowed diameter, then lower the left side down to around 7 psi. This only gives me about 1/2 - 3/4 inch difference.

All my tires came with my kart. I'm sure they have a few years on them.

Not meaning to hijack this thread but to achieve that much stagger, do you buy different diameter tires or run the inside tires air pressure much lower? Our track has a rule that the outer right re3ar tire can not exceed 34.5 inch diameter so in order to get some stagger I fill that sucker with as much air to get the allowed diameter, then lower the left side down to around 7 psi. This only gives me about 1/2 - 3/4 inch difference.

All my tires came with my kart. I'm sure they have a few years on them.
Your doing it all wrong you cannot change air to achieve stagger, you set stagger by growing and shrinking tires before the race.

Lol! Im getting that a lot, the doing it all wrong part. Learn something everytime I read a new thread. Had no idea tires could be shrunk before today.
You're not the first, and certainly not the last to find this out.
I hear this all the time "I add psi to get the stagger I need." = totally wrong.
Now, you can add psi to "stretch" a tire to properly size it, but race pressure is a much narrower range.
If you're on a real small track, you may need to use a different LR tire diameter size (ie 10.5 rather than an 11.0.)

There are several threads on this site that already talk about tire sizing (shrinking and growing.)
Check out the search feature in the upper right hand of this page.
Better yet, block out a couple of hours some time that it's convenient, and read through much of the tire forum on here. LOTS of good information on tires and preps.

You're not the first, and certainly not the last to find this out.
I hear this all the time "I add psi to get the stagger I need." = totally wrong.
Now, you can add psi to "stretch" a tire to properly size it, but race pressure is a much narrower range.
If you're on a real small track, you may need to use a different LR tire diameter size (ie 10.5 rather than an 11.0.)

There are several threads on this site that already talk about tire sizing (shrinking and growing.)
Check out the search feature in the upper right hand of this page.
Better yet, block out a couple of hours some time that it's convenient, and read through much of the tire forum on here. LOTS of good information on tires and preps.
Thanks, I have been using the search and reading up on a lot. TONS of good information

We had good success last week on two tracks with similar size. Targeted 1.5” front and back. We actually ran away in one feature at 1.4x Front and 1.57ish rear. We were able to run the inside on entry and exit compared to the competition.

however, last year being our first year we had better results with more cross. The kart liked a lot of RF weight. But we were masking another problem by doing that.

Make sure all of your baseline setup numbers are correct.

Back