Tire Surface (Fixed vs Variable Speed)

Ragnar

Any recommendations on fixed speed vs variable speed resurfacing machines. We are looking to buy and just curious which route to go.

Thanks

If the fixed is at the correct rpm , Thats all you need .
Whats the correct rpm You ask ?
for me 300-400. rpm.

I prefer the variable speed, just to be able to control the speed is an ability that is nice. The difference in price really isnt all that much extra either.

I don't see why you would want/need variable speed on a refinishing stand. As long as you get the rpm where you want it, you get into a rhythm of sanding that yields the finish you are wanting. No need to change it after that.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Shouldn't be an issue when comparing machines, any can be made variable speed by simply installing an on/off dimmer switch, around $10. Just mark where you find it all works best for you.

My experience with the dimmer switch was dismal .
It worked sorta , but also seemed to limit the power of the motor.
with really not much fine adjustment .
could have possibly been my motor wasn't powerful enough , work fine without the dimmer though .
YMMV.

My experience with the dimmer switch was dismal .
It worked sorta , but also seemed to limit the power of the motor.
with really not much fine adjustment .
could have possibly been my motor wasn't powerful enough , work fine without the dimmer though .
YMMV.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1445611932...iUCu7g0TCS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I used on of these on a drill to drive a bead roller. Of course thru a gearbox, but gave speed control I wanted, with plenty of power.

Most 1/2 inch drills are 3-600 rpm.
Might even be able to direct drive.

I don't see why you would want/need variable speed on a refinishing stand. As long as you get the rpm where you want it, you get into a rhythm of sanding that yields the finish you are wanting. No need to change it after that.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Where you want it, and where i want it may be different, and then throw in Joe who may even want it somewhere different.

Where you want it, and where i want it may be different, and then throw in Joe who may even want it somewhere different.
I guess I was thinking of those building their own and could choose the motor rpm, pulley sizes, etc. to determine the rpm they wanted. I could definitely see variable speed helping when there's more than one person using the same machine.

Back