Tire temp readings

Im very new to karting, but have been running motorcycles for years now. Anyway, it seems to me that everyone is on the same page but doesnt quite realize it. Tire temps are important because every single tire made has an optimal temp range, but taking those temps is not important. unless you have the tools to take the temps as you're running at race pace, then it wont be reliable info(ie. not worth doing). Too many variables that can change how slow/quickly the tires cool once the race is finished. Im not sure how to read kart tires yet, but it was pretty easy to read bike tire temps(hot vs cold tearing). No matter how long it took me, or how much my tires cooled by the time i got back to the paddock, reading the tires was always reliable info because how the tires looked the second i got off track, vs when i parked was always the same.

tire temps.jpg

its still complete bs for karting, and thats after doing my own testing over a years time, I sold the 4 tire longacre probe at a loss.
And I have done testing with a manufacturer, and tire temps are useless on dirt oval karting, you gain more by reading the surface of a tire and the lap times than spending money and wasting time taking tire temps.
Well if Temps are bs then so are pressures because they change on the cooldown lap too. And if it was not for tire Temps raising the pressure wouldnt ever raise. Dang I remember when I used to know everything. I sure hope I didn't look this arrogant. Once I realized I didn't know everything about anything I thought I knew a funny thing happened.... I realized the world alot of people had a lot to teach me and I had very little to teach the world. Actually scary how simple one track minded I was.

Well if Temps are bs then so are pressures because they change on the cooldown lap too. And if it was not for tire Temps raising the pressure wouldnt ever raise. Dang I remember when I used to know everything. I sure hope I didn't look this arrogant. Once I realized I didn't know everything about anything I thought I knew a funny thing happened.... I realized the world alot of people had a lot to teach me and I had very little to teach the world. Actually scary how simple one track minded I was.
maybe you didnt read the post that says I didnt care about pressure gains, lap times are all that matter, I dont care if we are wearing one to the cords every time out as long as its the fastest thing on the track.
We spent the money, we spent the time.
Tire temps on karts on dirt is a waste of time, thats why the majority of racers dont do it, so suck it up butter cup, youre still arrogant

If Temps are bs then so are pressures because they change on the cooldown lap too. And if it was not for tire Temps raising the pressure wouldn't ever raise.
I don't remember ever reading those two things put together like you did before.
I also think now reading it it's a valid point.

Thank you for the thought which is eye opening.

paul

Last edited:
We find tire temps quite useful on pavement, I do not claim it is all you need to look at. I can certainly understand how it would be nearly useless on dirt.

Tire temps, it would appear, are just another piece of the puzzle. The puzzle; what do I need to go fast? Actually; what was I doing the last time I went fast? Tire temps, jetting, weight distribution, gearing, clutch slip, air density, they're all part of going fast. They're all part of record-keeping.

The old saying "You get out of it what you put into it"!

Bottom line; what were you doing the last time you went fast, and if you're not going fast this time, what changed. Without records it could be a mystery.

"Tuning is tough" (Al Nunley)

maybe you didnt read the post that says I didnt care about pressure gains, lap times are all that matter, I dont care if we are wearing one to the cords every time out as long as its the fastest thing on the track.
We spent the money, we spent the time.
Tire temps on karts on dirt is a waste of time, thats why the majority of racers dont do it, so suck it up butter cup, youre still arrogant
I sure I am. Its a process. But admittance is half the battle.

I don't remember ever reading those two things put together like you did before.
I also think now reading it it's a valid point.

Thank you for the thought which is eye opening.

paul
I'm glad I could help buddy. Thats the best part of it. When you get a whole other perspective of what you already know so much about. Let the learning never stop.

LOL dirt oval karts always run excessive RF camber, you know how to tell when you have too much negative camber? its call a push, and the tire will show signs of blistering.
But you keep posting, remember we took tire temps years ago and quit, its a waste of time.
On a dirt oval kart with a staggered rear axle, the inside of the right sides, and the inside of the lefts will always be warmer, but since you have never raced anything you wont understand that we dont want temps eual across the tire, if it is that means you have too much tire in contact with the track

This is in the dirt track setup and adjustment chapter of Kart chassis setup technology. XXX#40 IM NOT EVEN POSTING THIS FOR YOU. Im simply trying to add more relevant information to a thread about tire temps on dirt. I thought this forum was created for that? My bad i guess since you say its useless we should just delete the whole dang thing and only leave your opinion. BTW I have raced quite a bit but to be honest I'm not that good at it. What I have done is been a part of a low budget team with a REAL driver. We were forced to use what if? And let's try this theories,not to mention total failures from time to time all we had was trial and error instead of sponsors and cash. But once again speaking about topics (me and my racing hobby) you don't know anything about. There is a fine line between opinion and fact. So fine some seem not to see it. Anyways this person wrote a book sold in every karting magazine there is. I bet he is wrong about this too right?
20201026_215453.jpg

LOL dirt oval karts always run excessive RF camber, you know how to tell when you have too much negative camber? its call a push, and the tire will show signs of blistering.
But you keep posting, remember we took tire temps years ago and quit, its a waste of time.
On a dirt oval kart with a staggered rear axle, the inside of the right sides, and the inside of the lefts will always be warmer, but since you have never raced anything you wont understand that we dont want temps eual across the tire, if it is that means you have too much tire in contact with the track
In the 80 and 90s when chassis were basically shopping carts with a number plate sliding around the track with 2 piece rims and all the other prehistoric stuff yes you are correct sir. 100%. But now if you can just open your mind up a tad bit ill tell u a secret everyone who races and those who do not including me already knows. Things are about "consistent precision", my two favorite words combined. Today's tires chassis, technology ect ect. Karts are literally rolling around the track with Nascar level ammunition. National guys at least the rest are catching on unless they have a hard headed old timer stuck in there ways of course wether Pavement or dirt, It dont matter. They are trying to hook up the cart using 100% of the tread patch as much as possible. This is the last time I'm replying to you on this subject. So here's a few things to consider besides the fact everyone on here as nicely disagreed with you. Why do micron 5s have 4 tire temp leads available for all karts. It dont say anything about dont use on dirt. Also go to YouTube and look up the DNQ kart series. Best of the best drivers and teams camera commentators ect. Pretty much mini Nascar except they cuss and have fun. Its the best. Anyway they talk about these types of things all time. Hang up and watch that. Dont wait on me for proof cause I have givin you plenty. Good day sir.

In the 80 and 90s when chassis were basically shopping carts with a number plate sliding around the track with 2 piece rims and all the other prehistoric stuff yes you are correct sir. 100%. But now if you can just open your mind up a tad bit ill tell u a secret everyone who races and those who do not including me already knows. Things are about "consistent precision", my two favorite words combined. Today's tires chassis, technology ect ect. Karts are literally rolling around the track with Nascar level ammunition. National guys at least the rest are catching on unless they have a hard headed old timer stuck in there ways of course wether Pavement or dirt, It dont matter. They are trying to hook up the cart using 100% of the tread patch as much as possible. This is the last time I'm replying to you on this subject. So here's a few things to consider besides the fact everyone on here as nicely disagreed with you. Why do micron 5s have 4 tire temp leads available for all karts. It dont say anything about dont use on dirt. Also go to YouTube and look up the DNQ kart series. Best of the best drivers and teams camera commentators ect. Pretty much mini Nascar except they cuss and have fun. Its the best. Anyway they talk about these types of things all time. Hang up and watch that. Dont wait on me for proof cause I have givin you plenty. Good day sir.
Shows you know nothing, we are trying to be as fast as possible with the LEAST amount of tire on the track.
You might wanna look at some of the pictures of our chassis posted here, I still answer about 4 pm's on setups daily, not including the texts I get from guys at the track, while we are at the track, you see we still race just as we have for the last 20 years.
Everyone disagreed? think you might wanna look at that again, this post was made over a year ago and no one yet has said taking kart tire temps on dirt ovals has said taking temps helped them win a race.
Mychron 4 and 5 dont have tire temp leads, they have a dual temp ports but not for tire temps
I race with some of the top teams in karting, guess what you dont see them do?
The picture of a fun kart engine in your avatar tells me all I need to know
Heres a kart race at the track I built and ran from 1999-2004, pay attention to the end and see how many are taking tire temps lol
Thats right I built and ran one of this nations premier kart tracks

Last edited:
I've seen indy cars and F1 cars taking tire temps, live and in color, what do you suppose they were doing?

I'm just thinking; that's got to be a lot of work and expense, how do they justify it?

I've seen indy cars and F1 cars taking tire temps, live and in color, what do you suppose they were doing?

I'm just thinking; that's got to be a lot of work and expense, how do they justify it?
High horsepower, high downforce, asphalt/ concrete tracks, left and right hand turns.
I never said temps are useless in other forms of racing, but in dirt oval kart racing they are

Back