Tire temp readings

I'm going to restate what I've said previously. Tire Temps are important, measuring the temp isn't. Reading the tire tells all. If the tire tells you it got too hot, adjust accordingly. Actively reading tire Temps will give you information, but you can get that same info from reading the tire(and saves you $500 on the mychron kit).

Just curious though, how warm can tires get on dirt? On asphalt?
Hot enough to measure and keep a data log. 😉

Shows you know nothing, we are trying to be as fast as possible with the LEAST amount of tire on the track.
You might wanna look at some of the pictures of our chassis posted here, I still answer about 4 pm's on setups daily, not including the texts I get from guys at the track, while we are at the track, you see we still race just as we have for the last 20 years.
Everyone disagreed? think you might wanna look at that again, this post was made over a year ago and no one yet has said taking kart tire temps on dirt ovals has said taking temps helped them win a race.
Mychron 4 and 5 dont have tire temp leads, they have a dual temp ports but not for tire temps
I race with some of the top teams in karting, guess what you dont see them do?
The picture of a fun kart engine in your avatar tells me all I need to know
Heres a kart race at the track I built and ran from 1999-2004, pay attention to the end and see how many are taking tire temps lol
Thats right I built and ran one of this nations premier kart tracks
Well slick u got me. Except I put that fun power shroud as a joke also because my youngest son liked it and asked me to put it on there. But there you go again actin a fool. The way you judge and decide what is what just by what you think you see. All them ppl ask for your advice? No wonder its thing so long for karting to line the curve. Dont judge a book by its cover and dont judge a Briggs by its shroud. A little more free advice for u. I'm gonna have to start charging man.

bet 2 of them didnt even get what information watching engine temps through a run give you
Its uselessinformation. I'm only using the engine 1 night a week so as long as its faster than the other guys if it burns up ill buy new one for the next race. Once u learn how to read an engine by what color the smoke is, you will decide CHT is complete and utter bs. Hahahaha. Im joking of course but if I wasn't it would be a lot like your program.

Its uselessinformation. I'm only using the engine 1 night a week so as long as its faster than the other guys if it burns up ill buy new one for the next race. Once u learn how to read an engine by what color the smoke is, you will decide CHT is complete and utter bs. Hahahaha. Im joking of course but if I wasn't it would be a lot like your program.
No, how quickly it rises tells you if the kart is tight or not, you not being a kart racer you wouldnt know that though.
Go check the spindle angle thread, you see another for NOT taking tire temps

how quickly it rises tells you if the kart is tight or not
Posted and then thought of asking you this.

Will tires alone cause the abuse to your engine and cause engine temp to rise too quick?

--------------------------------
Thought and question is from as long ago said on here only two things cause an engine to heat and they are making HP and abuse.

Will tires alone cause the abuse to your engine and cause engine temp to rise too quick?

Thought and question is from as long ago said on here only two things cause an engine to heat and they are making HP and abuse.
Yes. And remember air pressures are part of the tires.

The hottest my predator ever got this year was in a race that I destroyed a clutch and a gear. The sprocket moved and the chain started running at an angle. The engine was in the ball park of 400 degrees when I pulled off at the end of the race. It was my second race so I didnt know enough to know that it wasnt running right until it died the second I quit rolling. All that extra load got that thing hot in a hurry.

No, how quickly it rises tells you if the kart is tight or not, you not being a kart racer you wouldnt know that though.
Go check the spindle angle thread, you see another for NOT taking tire temps
Nope I sure didn't know that simple piece of racing 101. But I'm sure u can send a whole race worth of data to your flip phone via your digitron to see exactly where you were at the hottest point cant you? 😉🤣

Nope I sure didn't know that simple piece of racing 101. But I'm sure u can send a whole race worth of data to your flip phone via your digitron to see exactly where you were at the hottest point cant you? 😉🤣
Nope, download to my laptop from my mychron.
And again its not about the hottest point, its about how long it takes to get there.

And fun powers never got started, carb illegal, and the engines were just junk for racing, dual bearing IC engines is where its at, but the best plate engine we ever had was a single bearing cool bore

And again its not about the hottest point, its about how long it takes to get there.

And fun powers never got started, carb illegal, and the engines were just junk for racing, dual bearing IC engines is where its at, but the best plate engine we ever had was a single bearing cool

And fun powers never got started, carb illegal, and the engines were just junk for racing, dual bearing IC engines is where its at, but the best plate engine we ever had was a single bearing cool bore
Thats why I said a whole race worth of data. Not sure how that would relate to the hottest point. I was joking about the fun power. You gotta admit that pulling up to the grid with a hot engine masked with a fun power shroud is pretty funny if not clever. I mean think about it I've already got you thinking I dont know what I'm doing. 😉 kinda like the trojan horse effect.

I've been watching this thread since it started to see where it would go being I actually done dirt tire temp testing 20 years ago now....here is what we did and my opinion on the subject....first let me say we tested for 2 years at the same track using the longacre pyrometer that took 3 readings across each tire and stored it into memory....our driver would literally get off the track as fast as possible,kill the motor and start taking temps as fast as I could hand him the tester to be as consistent as possible.....we consistently ran in the top 3 spots each week at this track and won the points championship there more than once...now as for the tire temps did we learn anything from them? Yes we did learn a few things but in my opinion taking the temps was not what kept us up front there consistently.... this track was not a high bite track and prep was the main thing....in my opinion taking the temps on asphalt or possiblity a very high bite dirt track you can learn a few things if the temps can be taken very fast....my bottom line opinion today running on any dirt track I wouldn't spend the money for another pyrometer but would spend my efforts on my prep and just visually read the tires also checking the pressure gains.... again just my opinion from my experience

It probably doesn't help much. But it is not useless or complete and utter bs. Thats all I was disagreeing on plus I just wanted to mess with the guy claiming it was

Two similar threads where those with the experience learned nothing nor gained anything from either learning about and testing tire temps and spring rates.

IMHO, Bull about both teaching you nothing or even nothing you didn't even already know.

I've been following this thread for a while and enjoy reading it. Both sides have their merits, but for different reasons. In theory yes tire temp info gives you some info. But your driver can give you the info quicker than you can check tire temps. If the kart is wrong your driver knows first and knows what needs to be changed. You probably know, too, just by watching. Tire temps just affirms this. I am sure that's where Jamie is coming from. Asphalt racing gives you more pronounced temp problems and it may give a more accurate read on whats going wrong. I could accept its need there, if for more accurate info if nothing else. On dirt, probably not. And comparing the need and info between karts and cars, they're a different animal. Cars spin the rear tires, karts don't. It's an apples to oranges deal there.

Back