tire temps vs air pressure

Tyler64

As it comes down to the colder months and the cooler temps, ive been trying to use a hot box before going to the grid but im strugeling with air pressures.

Obviously as tire temps increase, so does air pressure, but then as soon as you set the kart on the grid your dropping temps and loosing pressure.

How does one factor all that into the equation and know what air to use? Do you set the tires before you put them to heat or after you pull them out?

Example: putting them in the box for about 20 minutes before heading to grid at say 100 degrees and you want air pressure to be 10 lbs racing... what air should you start with? (again, just using this as an example)

I have wondered the same thing as well. I have heard some people say to set your air pressure before putting in the hot box not really sure if that works or not though

Usually we will set the hotbox to get the tires warm (roughly close to what kind of heat they would have at the end of a run, say 70* this time of year), then I set my air pressure before I put them in the box.

set air temps before heating...then when setting kart down they will loose some heat but hopefully keep enough heat to make tires come in quick and maintain air you have chosen...that's how its supposed to work....

set air temps before heating...then when setting kart down they will loose some heat but hopefully keep enough heat to make tires come in quick and maintain air you have chosen...that's how its supposed to work....

Thats kinda along the lines of what I was thinking.
Thanks Everyone!

Back