Tire wash

bullerman

Bought kart tire wash or simple green? Opinions. Never bought any kart tire wash. I just always used simple green. I just had a plastic tote I put water and some simple green in. I would put my tire in the water and wash it with a rag until it was clean. Don't know if that was the right way or not. I am just starting back racing after 6 years and I want and to try and do things right . I am going to talk to one of the prep guys and try and get them to explain what to do from Sunday up to the race and at the track. I will have two sets to start
Maxxiss and Vega. The two tracks I will run are low bite tracks.

Get the pop corn lol !! Your gonna hear a lot about tire wash, but remember most of them pitching it sell it, walk around the pit at a big race, I'd say it's safe to say 10 to 1 use simple green, just say " N " I would spray the tire VS add to wash water, then just scrub good with your hand before washing more submerged in wash tub.

Wonder what a good mixture of simple green would be in a spray bottle. So I would spray and wipe it and spray it and wipe it until it is clean then dry it is what I am thinking.

We do 50 / 50 in spray bottle, dip in wash pan scrub with hand first, pull them out spray good, scrub with just your hand again, submerge and finish wash with a sponge, towel dry, then spray again hand scrub tread good and wipe dry vigorously with microfiber towel.

I wont ever use simple green, spend all that time prepping and the use a DE-GREASER to clean them with?
Nope,
Baby shampoo or cheap moisturizing shampoo

The biggest races in the country today are won with people using Simple Green to wash tires with. The top Pro drivers in the country, who do tires themself, have used Simple Green to win the races.
Track Tac Tire Wash, among a few others, are also winning at the big events around the country, but Simple Green is the most popular.

We do 50 / 50 in spray bottle, dip in wash pan scrub with hand first, pull them out spray good, scrub with just your hand again, submerge and finish wash with a sponge, towel dry, then spray again hand scrub tread good and wipe dry vigorously with microfiber towel.
is the water in the pan just straight water? So the put it in that and wipe the dirt of of it with my hand. Never did that but I will. Then start spraying and when they are clean go back to the pan and clean more with a sponge. I should just say is the water in the pan just water with nothing in it?

i personally just use water with a little squirt of dawn dish soap in a 5 gallon bucket. As far as the scrubbing part of it i use a green scotch brite pad, leave tires on kart dip the scotch brite in water/dawn bucket scrub a few strokes the dip back in bucket and start where ive already cleaned (you can feel the grip when the tire is clean) and repeat till tire is completely done and then here is the real key to it all..... I have my 4yo son old dry the tires the purpose for that part is, he will throw a fit if he doesnt get to help daddy KEY STEP here!

Wash tub with 5-8 gallons of water and a splash of liquid Tide. Use the bug 'n tar sponges with the mesh. I also like the Track Tac blue tire wash. Usually I can wash them faster than using a tire washer.

I may be a little biased but I can promise you most big racers have a gallon of Track Tac Tire Wash in the trailer. The may use it to wash tires or they may use it as a prep but either way they have it.

^ I know of more than a few who use our Green Apple Clean tire wash as well.
There are times a stringent degreaser (like Simple Green) can be used to pull the oils in the tire to the surface, then there are times that you do not want to do that. This is when a lower PH (mild detergent) will work better in my opinion. Baby shampoo, Dawn blue dish soap, both work fine.

FWIW, my wife prefers to use our Green Apple Clean tire wash as she thinks it makes her job easier. (Which is why I came up with it in the first place!) :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back