Tire whats changed

Ok I'm a newbie I'm getting back in after 20 yrs off. Doing all the reading and learning I can before I buy my new kart and stuff. When I raced then blue maxxis on the outside pink inside. Or diff rent compund Dunlops or Dunlop and Maxxis. A occasional Bridgestone. My question did the compund change on the maxxis tires or just needing that much bite on the big tube karts on the outside? Where does Vega fit into this equation? I have done decided I'm gong to get my tires prepared before I buy them and get on there tire suggestions as far as prep and tire care. I'm trying absorb as much information as possible.

CH3Racing

Premium User
Ok I'm a newbie I'm getting back in after 20 yrs off. Doing all the reading and learning I can before I buy my new kart and stuff. When I raced then blue maxxis on the outside pink inside. Or diff rent compund Dunlops or Dunlop and Maxxis. A occasional Bridgestone. My question did the compund change on the maxxis tires or just needing that much bite on the big tube karts on the outside? Where does Vega fit into this equation? I have done decided I'm gong to get my tires prepared before I buy them and get on there tire suggestions as far as prep and tire care. I'm trying absorb as much information as possible.
If you ever have any questions feel free to call me anytime, I am very familiar with all those tracks. Welcome Back!

1fasttiller

Just dove back in myself after about a 15-20 year "break" except now I'm crew chief for my 11 year old son! Its been an interesting first year and we've learned a ton, but really not much has changed with the exception of the new Clone motors. Tires is still 95% of the game and if you miss the tires you're still in the back! Vegas are what we run down here in Florida, they are a nice soft, natural rubber tire with a lot of bite when prepped correctly. Maxxis Blues and pinks still rule the hard, fast tracks and Dunlops and Brigestones have all but died. Honestly nothing much has changed in karting in many, many years. The newer karts still rely heavily on the tires to provide the bite and the man with the most tires and correctly prepped tires still wins!

Just dove back in myself after about a 15-20 year "break" except now I'm crew chief for my 11 year old son! Its been an interesting first year and we've learned a ton, but really not much has changed with the exception of the new Clone motors. Tires is still 95% of the game and if you miss the tires you're still in the back! Vegas are what we run down here in Florida, they are a nice soft, natural rubber tire with a lot of bite when prepped correctly. Maxxis Blues and pinks still rule the hard, fast tracks and Dunlops and Brigestones have all but died. Honestly nothing much has changed in karting in many, many years. The newer karts still rely heavily on the tires to provide the bite and the man with the most tires and correctly prepped tires still wins!
Yea I was at track talking to some people and that saying still holds out to be true. Did the compund on pinks and blues change a lot or pretty much similar to what they were?