Tire whats changed

Ok I'm a newbie I'm getting back in after 20 yrs off. Doing all the reading and learning I can before I buy my new kart and stuff. When I raced then blue maxxis on the outside pink inside. Or diff rent compund Dunlops or Dunlop and Maxxis. A occasional Bridgestone. My question did the compund change on the maxxis tires or just needing that much bite on the big tube karts on the outside? Where does Vega fit into this equation? I have done decided I'm gong to get my tires prepared before I buy them and get on there tire suggestions as far as prep and tire care. I'm trying absorb as much information as possible.

Ok I'm a newbie I'm getting back in after 20 yrs off. Doing all the reading and learning I can before I buy my new kart and stuff. When I raced then blue maxxis on the outside pink inside. Or diff rent compund Dunlops or Dunlop and Maxxis. A occasional Bridgestone. My question did the compund change on the maxxis tires or just needing that much bite on the big tube karts on the outside? Where does Vega fit into this equation? I have done decided I'm gong to get my tires prepared before I buy them and get on there tire suggestions as far as prep and tire care. I'm trying absorb as much information as possible.

If you ever have any questions feel free to call me anytime, I am very familiar with all those tracks. Welcome Back!

Just dove back in myself after about a 15-20 year "break" except now I'm crew chief for my 11 year old son! Its been an interesting first year and we've learned a ton, but really not much has changed with the exception of the new Clone motors. Tires is still 95% of the game and if you miss the tires you're still in the back! Vegas are what we run down here in Florida, they are a nice soft, natural rubber tire with a lot of bite when prepped correctly. Maxxis Blues and pinks still rule the hard, fast tracks and Dunlops and Brigestones have all but died. Honestly nothing much has changed in karting in many, many years. The newer karts still rely heavily on the tires to provide the bite and the man with the most tires and correctly prepped tires still wins!

Just dove back in myself after about a 15-20 year "break" except now I'm crew chief for my 11 year old son! Its been an interesting first year and we've learned a ton, but really not much has changed with the exception of the new Clone motors. Tires is still 95% of the game and if you miss the tires you're still in the back! Vegas are what we run down here in Florida, they are a nice soft, natural rubber tire with a lot of bite when prepped correctly. Maxxis Blues and pinks still rule the hard, fast tracks and Dunlops and Brigestones have all but died. Honestly nothing much has changed in karting in many, many years. The newer karts still rely heavily on the tires to provide the bite and the man with the most tires and correctly prepped tires still wins!
Yea I was at track talking to some people and that saying still holds out to be true. Did the compund on pinks and blues change a lot or pretty much similar to what they were?

I'm also getting back into karting after about 20 years off to help a friend who is been out of the sport for about 17 years and will be driving again.Not trying to brag but when we ran back then we were competitive and usually in the top 5 most races.It seems we have alot to catch up on especially on the tire game.We will be running tracks in NC (Liberty,Coleridge mostly).I know just like 20 years ago some of the best teams in the country run these tracks.I have a few questions on tires and tire prep.
1) what exactly is most of the internal preps actually doing to the tire besides softening the rubber thru the tire from the inside?

2)Do you think any prep lines on the market now can win at those 2 tracks or is one guy"s prep going to be the ticket at those 2 tracks for the most part once you learn what each of there preps do and when to use them?

3)I see a lot of prep guy's talking about duro readings like it's not very important any more and wondering if they mean like you can be 5 points off on duro or 10 points off etc etc.So how many duro points off can you be?Again for the 2 tracks above.

4)From what I've finding from a lot of research on here it's more about building bite in the tire or the right amount of bite for your chassis and setup now.Right or wrong?

5) I also see a lot of tire prep guy's talking about it being more about how old a tire is being the most important over duro readings or the age after the tires have been prepped.So in general what's the difference in a set of tires prepped a week ago compared to a set prepped 2 months ago being prepped exactly the same?

6) I see the maxxis now have date codes.Are some date code tires better or is that just so we can keep up with the actual age of the tires?In other words are some teams hand picking certain date coded tires for certain tracks etc.etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help and looking forward to being back at the track

Most of the time it isnt "duro" that folks shoot for. It is age of the tire and amount of internal in said tire. Amount of internal depends on class and which internal prep you are using.
I’ve been out of karting for about 15 years so all this new inside and outside prep is new to me. Well, I actually got out in 1996 and jumped back in briefly in 2004 and was out again. So I’ve got a lot to learn. I’m just trying to find a starting point for my grandson.

I’ve been out of karting for about 15 years so all this new inside and outside prep is new to me. Well, I actually got out in 1996 and jumped back in briefly in 2004 and was out again. So I’ve got a lot to learn. I’m just trying to find a starting point for my grandson.
Give me a shout, we can discuss what would be best for him.

Back