Tire/Wheel HELP!!!

JLeggett68

What's up guys... I am new to the karting scene and need some advise on wheel and tire setup. My son is 7 years old and is going to be racing his first race at the end of the month. He is in a Rage Jr Champ and will be running the MARS rookie cage class to start off. The kart currently has slicks on it and the class he's running requires treads. Again I'm am completely new to this and I have been told for the tracks I'm running I need the D30 Hoosier treads, but I have no clue on what size tires or wheels to get! Any help on size/wheel offset will greatly appreciated!!!

If it was me, I'd be visiting the tracks and asking around for what the best set up would be. I would pay very close attention to the kart with fast time.

Give us a call.
We have a set up that works considerably better than the typical Hoosier 250 & 500 QRC treaded tires that most guys are running.
Unless your track dictates that you must run those 37-39" right side tires (that are NOT made for low HP kart applications,) you would do better to go with smaller tires and keep your right sides at 34." That way you can keep your ride heights and stagger more in line with what a flat kart or champ would run, especially being so underpowered.
We work with these tires every week here in the shop. I have 2 sets ready to ship to customers currently, and 3 more sets on order that I hope to complete today or Monday.

We also offer mounting, sizing, cutting, prepping services for treaded tires.
Anything that we can do to help, please don't hesitate to call on us.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I was in the same boat here as well, I have visited with Brian above and he has a great set up, unfortunately we have to run the 37.5-38 inch tires , but I have learned a couple of things along the way that has helped.

6.5 "LF
8.5" LR
10" RR as far as wheels.
As far as tires I would go with 11.5x9. For the rights with the d30 compound , one important thing is to mount the tires with a wheel ring, tires will still be big but it does help with them stretching during the bead up. Once you get a set of tires mounted you may need to heat them, and then cool them very quickly you can lose some size if you do this a couple of times. You won't make 34 inches but you will get smaller and more capable of getting stagger close. Another option is they do make 11.5 x 8 in the d30 compound as well, I believe these roll 36 -36.5 and have vest chance of getting closer to the 34inch tire. Another option is find out if they can be cut, ground, etc...that will help. Also you need to know what the base set ups are for the kart....and will have to do some tuning off that. I'm not saying everyone has to do this with their kart but with our MINecon we went from phantoms base on cross and cut almost 6-8 % off of it, the treaded tires are a new game but it can be done!

Back