Tires and prep

We're new to Karting, we stated about two months ago with one Kart, and my 13 year old driving. We just bought the second Kart for my 11 year old. I read and read and have some showing me things. Asked 100 people if tires are really that important and 100 times I've been told "YES!" It's all so secretive! I'm hoping someone can point me to a book, website or something that really breaks it down in layman terms. We run Maxxis and so do most at the track. The others run Vega. Any advise and must have tools any pointers and any thing that really really breaks this down would be awesome!

Tires are really that important.
But each track is different. Post the track or tracks that you run and I am sure that some will chime in.
Welcome to the sport.

Prepping is something you have to learn on your own, if you do it wrong your racing will suffer.
Get on 1 prep program and stay with it

What track? What is the track made up of? How does it stay throughout the day or night? How are you compared to the Vega tired karts? What class?

Todd Godwin wrote some books , start fast is one , chemical attraction is another . They would be a good investment . A tire roller , a quality air gauge .
As stated iit is a learning curve , sticking with one prep line and one line of advice initially is better then chasing different preps and advice .

Our website is somewhat dated, but there are some tech articles on tires that you may find helpful.
Here is one link:
http://www.carlsonmotorsports.com/CRETechDec.html
Again, a bit dated, but in general is still valuable, especially for someone just getting their feet wet.

We cut a ton of tires and have our own prep program. Our prep program is simple and effective. We'd be glad to discuss this with you over the phone or through email, private messages, facebook, etc. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to give us a holler.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Our website is somewhat dated, but there are some tech articles on tires that you may find helpful.
Here is one link:
Again, a bit dated, but in general is still valuable, especially for someone just getting their feet wet.

We cut a ton of tires and have our own prep program. Our prep program is simple and effective. We'd be glad to discuss this with you over the phone or through email, private messages, facebook, etc. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to give us a holler.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Here is one link:

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
I too was confused about prep and tires. Call Brian. He has a very simple and clear tire program that just plain works. I don’t care to get into trying this and trying that. His stuff has worked great for our teams.
Good luck!

Back