Tires and Wheels for club series . . .

IRQVET

Trying to determine what most folks do. When say your local track runs one set of tires, but a series requires another type/ brand of tire, do most folks just swap tires over, or do you own more than one set of wheels with different tires already on them?

My local track runs MG Reds, but a cup series I'll be running this summer requires Vega's. Been considering just popping for another set of wheels instead of swapping tires back and forth. Not sure if that is the right direction to go?

Anybody have a prefered vendor for wheels?

What do you guys do?

Trying to determine what most folks do. When say your local track runs one set of tires, but a series requires another type/ brand of tire, do most folks just swap tires over, or do you own more than one set of wheels with different tires already on them?

My local track runs MG Reds, but a cup series I'll be running this summer requires Vega's. Been considering just popping for another set of wheels instead of swapping tires back and forth. Not sure if that is the right direction to go?

What do you guys do?
Yes, I run a sprint kart and have 3 different sets of tires and wheels. we run Maxxis, Vega reds and MG's at different tracks here in florida

VAN K wheels are very popular. I carry a bunch of them. Popular sizes for cup kart I believe are 5x5' to like 5x5.5 front and 7.750 rear to 8" wide rears.

What do you guys do?

For me running locally 10 times a year and traveling 7 times I have separate setups. Just makes it easier. I can run competitive for 2 maybe 3 weeks locally on 1 set. Traveling though with the series I raced, to be competitive means you are running new tires every race. Start the weekend out on used tires to get the feel of the track, then strap on the new tires to really dial in the setup, and then put new tires on for the qualifying/pre/final. The set that I raced on now became my test/first practice session for the next race.

The tires I used were almost shot by the end of the weekend so new rubber would have to be mounted anyway to be competitive. Yet, that's in TaG Sr, also 10 years ago :ROFLMAO:

As far as vendors go, John @ Fastech Racing has always been good to me. https://www.fastech-racing.com Douglas Mags..

Dave owns a Corvette, appreciates racing, and he's certainly not hurting for money OR budgeting at this point in his career/life. :)
Dave's plan for debt reduction is great, but I disagree with him on some basic principles of spending money on your kids while they are still in your home, etc. I really don't want a yacht when I retire, I'm quite happy with the row boat I've got now. I'm satisfied with much and with little...that's Biblical. :)
An extra set of wheels shouldn't break you or go above your hobby budget percentage...otherwise maybe you need to sit out a couple weekends to save up. Having more wheels is a total convenience factor -- not necessary, but very convenient.

An extra set of wheels shouldn't break you or go above your hobby budget percentage...otherwise maybe you need to sit out a couple weekends to save up. Having more wheels is a total convenience factor -- not necessary, but very convenient.

I've got the money, its not breaking my budget, I'm just a cheap SOB and a firm believer than a fool and his money will always part ways, lol.

Back