Tires coming off bead during race

Ive always had to work like hell to dismount and mount vegas. I'm going with it wasn't seated up all the way or you got something bad wrong on the setup. I always let the air all the way out after and check its all the way out. That black smooth finish may not be as great for holding a tire as a machined finish.
The black smooth finish on the rim? Maybe I can thought it up with some emory cloth or sandpaper to get a better bite.

The black smooth finish on the rim? Maybe I can thought it up with some emory cloth or sandpaper to get a better bite.
yes the smooth finish on the rim. It shouldn't matter but you just never know. with you having issues i wouldn't hesitate to rough it up a little before popping it back on

So I dismounted the tires from the wheels today and inspected both. Didn't see any defects in either. I did notice that the tires seemed pretty soft, especially at the sidewall when compared to some of my other tires. I also measured the height of the tires and noticed these were by far the shortest I had, by over 1/4". Not sure if that could cause issues.

Douglas black wheels are anodized, not powder coated, so the finish is not the problem. Some older VanK and Outlaw wheels that were powder coated on the insides had issues, but never saw a black Douglas be the cause of a tire coming off the bead.

You say that the tire itself is 1/4" shorter and significantly softer? I don't doubt that with the way your kart has been mishandling/hopping, that it is breaking the sidewalls down over time as well. That might explain the "softer." I'm curious about this "shorter" though. Most Vegas mount up 34" - 34 1/4" C on a 10" wheel. The wheels aren't a different width by chance are they? No bends (or out of roundness) in the wheels? I still suspect the tires didn't bead out originally. As others have said...Vegas can be some of the toughest tires to mount; heat, high psi, etc.

Douglas black wheels are anodized, not powder coated, so the finish is not the problem. Some older VanK and Outlaw wheels that were powder coated on the insides had issues, but never saw a black Douglas be the cause of a tire coming off the bead.

You say that the tire itself is 1/4" shorter and significantly softer? I don't doubt that with the way your kart has been mishandling/hopping, that it is breaking the sidewalls down over time as well. That might explain the "softer." I'm curious about this "shorter" though. Most Vegas mount up 34" - 34 1/4" C on a 10" wheel. The wheels aren't a different width by chance are they? No bends (or out of roundness) in the wheels? I still suspect the tires didn't bead out originally. As others have said...Vegas can be some of the toughest tires to mount; heat, high psi, etc.
These mounted up to normal circumference. 34 1/8" to start.

Wheels are 6x10 and in good shape.

I measured the overall height of the tire (off of the wheel) by putting a flat edge on top of the tire and measuring from my workbench to the flat edge just trying to find differences between these tires and others I have. These tires were 9 1/4" tall while I had others that were 9 1/2" tall.

Is there a good test to verify they have properly beaded?

Again I never had a problem on dirt or asphalt ovals or even on sprint asphalt tracks with high power engines including KZ shifters or the Wankel. I have even run the shifter and Wankel without the bead locks we usually run on them and never had any issue. I have to say it is certainly recommended to run bead lock screws on these asphalt high hp engines but not on dirt ovals or any application where you are gonna be mounting and dismounting tires frequently. They are a pain and not practical and it is really easy to mess the thread and have a leak as a result. If you do have issues 1stvthing to do would be making sure tires are mounted correctly and wheels are as they should be too.

I had a thought. Have you ever measured your VCG? We stopped looking at it years ago and made the assumption that the lower the VCG the better. But back in the days of running purple and blue plates I found that at the light weights, running a higher VCG helped weight to transfer vertically rather then sideways. Perhaps someone that looks at VCG could provide some input. I am thinking that maybe your VCG is too high. What is your body type? Are you tall with lots of shoulder and chest weight? I am thinking you may need to lower your seat or maybe buy a seat that gets your weight lower. Do you ever look at tire temps or pressure gains? By the way to those who may be giving advice, the track where he runs, the pavement gets real sticky. You can even feel your shoes stick when you walk on it.

I had a thought. Have you ever measured your VCG? We stopped looking at it years ago and made the assumption that the lower the VCG the better. But back in the days of running purple and blue plates I found that at the light weights, running a higher VCG helped weight to transfer vertically rather then sideways. Perhaps someone that looks at VCG could provide some input. I am thinking that maybe your VCG is too high. What is your body type? Are you tall with lots of shoulder and chest weight? I am thinking you may need to lower your seat or maybe buy a seat that gets your weight lower. Do you ever look at tire temps or pressure gains? By the way to those who may be giving advice, the track where he runs, the pavement gets real sticky. You can even feel your shoes stick when you walk on it.
I have not measured vcg. I'm 5'10" 170lbs and run an evolution seat 8.75" off the rear axle. I have roughly 50-55lbs of lead bolted to the left side of the seat and a 4lb puck bolted under my left thigh area of the seat. Seat is all the way forward but not touching the steering upright.

I actually pulled the seat out last night looking for binds.

How much left and nose do you think is too much? And what would too much left and nose do to handling conditions?

I have not measured vcg. I'm 5'10" 170lbs and run an evolution seat 8.75" off the rear axle. I have roughly 50-55lbs of lead bolted to the left side of the seat and a 4lb puck bolted under my left thigh area of the seat. Seat is all the way forward but not touching the steering upright.

I actually pulled the seat out last night looking for binds.

How much left and nose do you think is too much? And what would too much left and nose do to handling conditions?
To much nose usually first shows up as loose on entry, to much left usually 4 wheel drift in the turns.

By the way to those who may be giving advice, the track where he runs, the pavement gets real sticky. You can even feel your shoes stick when you walk on it.
Chip have you ever raced on coke syrup ? Your shoes come off walking across it.

I have to believe it was your hopping problem that caused the tire to come off. Address that instead of chasing theories.
This would cause dynamic loading or shock loads .
Which could technically double the static weight of the vehicle .
Along with what Chip 56 states about surface grip .

Back