Tires coming off bead during race

Anyone ever have issues with tires coming off the bead of the rim during the race?

Had my RF come completely off the bead 10 laps into the feature yesterday (running 3rd) which resulted in a pretty hard nose first impact with the tire barrier/fence and some bent up front end parts.

After looking at my RR it looks like it was starting to come off the bead as well.

Any advice to prevent this?

Pictures of the wheels/tires

Attachments

• IMG_20210725_091420464.jpg
    IMG_20210725_091420464.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20210725_091413512.jpg
    IMG_20210725_091413512.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 82
what's the brand of wheel and tire? How was the tire mounted any chemical used? tire rings, tire bands, ratchet straps, nothing? what air pressure any internal prep etc, etc. need more info

Douglas Q+ 6x10 wheels, 12x8x6 yellow vega scuffs, no prep, 12psi, mounted with adjustable tire band, little bit of Windex for lube to bead.

Running champ kart on asphalt.

Pretty much same method I've been using the last 9 years.

You could have told him that before you asked for all that info lol.
I know a little about Burris not Vega. there may be more people able to answer the question they would need all that info as well (including Brian)
my tire came off on lap 10 tells me nothing. the other tire looks as if it were never seated in the first place .
your post is about as useless as they come do you have nothing to do but troll kart forms?

Yeah, those are the after pictures. The right front actually came all the way off and twisted inside out around the spindle and up against the frame from dragging on the track. I just "unfolded" it and was able to put some air in it to load it on the trailer.

They mounted up just like all my others. Outside bead popped around 80psi, inside around 110psi or so.

Sounds like your mounting process is just fine. It's quite common to have to put a ton of air in a Vega to get it to bead out.
They "could" have not beaded completely and just went unnoticed, I don't know. Being that you have mounted plenty successfully in the past, I doubt that as well.
Douglas wheels are the gold standard in my opinion. I mount and cut tires on a tire lathe in our shop on almost a daily basis and there is not a wheel that even come close in quality. That said, I doubt it's a wheel issue.
Vegas have a tighter bead diameter than any other kart tire on the market currently. (Another reason they are so difficult to bead up.) It is possible that your current tires had a slightly larger ID, but that's not been the case on any we've mounted recently.
Could it be a defect in tire or wheel? Sure, anything is possible, but I suspect you'll be able to trace this back to them not beading out completely, or something else.
Have your air gauge checked against a friend's (just to be sure) it's reading accurately. If what you thought is 10 psi, is actually 6 or 7 psi, could attribute to this issue.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Yeah, those are the after pictures. The right front actually came all the way off and twisted inside out around the spindle and up against the frame from dragging on the track. I just "unfolded" it and was able to put some air in it to load it on the trailer.

They mounted up just like all my others. Outside bead popped around 80psi, inside around 110psi or so.
Did you get both sides to bead without taking tire out of the band, or did only one side bead and you removed tire from the band adjusted it back in band without unbeading the side that did pop on ?

Sounds like your mounting process is just fine. It's quite common to have to put a ton of air in a Vega to get it to bead out.
They "could" have not beaded completely and just went unnoticed, I don't know. Being that you have mounted plenty successfully in the past, I doubt that as well.
Douglas wheels are the gold standard in my opinion. I mount and cut tires on a tire lathe in our shop on almost a daily basis and there is not a wheel that even come close in quality. That said, I doubt it's a wheel issue.
Vegas have a tighter bead diameter than any other kart tire on the market currently. (Another reason they are so difficult to bead up.) It is possible that your current tires had a slightly larger ID, but that's not been the case on any we've mounted recently.
Could it be a defect in tire or wheel? Sure, anything is possible, but I suspect you'll be able to trace this back to them not beading out completely, or something else.
Have your air gauge checked against a friend's (just to be sure) it's reading accurately. If what you thought is 10 psi, is actually 6 or 7 psi, could attribute to this issue.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I'll have to double check my air gauge with another to rule that out.

I was also wondering about track conditions and my setup. If the track was really rubbered up and had a bunch of grip in it and I had a push/tight condition where my kart was hopping in the turns could the amount of force being placed on the right side tires have contributed to the failure.

Back