Tires/Duro. Whats good? Whats junk?

Kart88

I see alot of people selling old tires. Many different kinds. Im specifically talking about Burris 33a's. Some are new, some are years old.
I had a buddy who gave me a few "old" tires that were a all cracked. He swore they were still good and you could run them "forever."

What makes the tire junk?
What range is a good duro? 50?60?
What about depth?

When do you decide to sell your "old" Tires?

That all depends on the track, it's not one 33 fits all, what may be junk at a certain track might be best at another, for a real good gripped up calcium day race track a 2 yr old heat cycled many times, never prepped, duro 62 to 64, cords showing to 50 thousands can be real good, on the flip side a night race that track stays moist slick a newer 33, thicker rubber duro 40 would be better, if there dry cracked there junk.

I see alot of people selling old tires. Many different kinds. Im specifically talking about Burris 33a's. Some are new, some are years old.
I had a buddy who gave me a few "old" tires that were a all cracked. He swore they were still good and you could run them "forever."

What makes the tire junk?
What range is a good duro? 50?60?
What about depth?

When do you decide to sell your "old" Tires?
To answer in order more direct to you but remember they still may be OK for someone else.
1) when they slow down and you cannot run up front any longer, Dry crack is Junk to everyone as far as running up front.
2) Whatever the track requires to run up front with 33's could range from 35 to 65
3) Whatever the track requires to run up front could range from cords showing to full rubber
4) When they slow down and we can't run up front any longer

I'd agree that it's also dependent on the level you're wanting to compete.
Older date code hard tires are best used in high bite situations.
Dry cracked most likely means they've had harsh preps used on them repeatedly.
I've seen 2 year old sets come through the shop that were all dry cracked from using green or goat on them.
I would say that they're "almost" worthless with the exception being that I've still seen them fast on high grip tracks and syrup.
If you can afford, buy one new set of Burris 33s and know what you've got to start with.
If not, buy from someone you trust, and you should be able to buy two good used sets (one round, and one flat cut.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back