Tires feathered, use grinder and what kindf wheels?

I like a 36 or 40 grit flap disc to knock off the feathering, then move up to a 80 or 120 grit with a belt sander to finish it up, depending on the track surface those tires are for. Have to keep the tire wet so it doesn't overheat when using the real coarse grit discs like that though, methanol works well or non-ammonia Windex. Others might have another way of doing it but this is what gives me the best results for what your trying to do

Ive used 40 in the past but generally use 60 to start now. I run burris 11s and on a good night the track will tear the hell out of a new set (22s or 33s do not work as well), I will make a few passes with 60, then as Zach said switch to the belt sander, i use 120. If its still visible when done I recommend flipping the tire on the wheel and using the clean edge.

Ok Ty. How do you guys hood the tire? Do you use one of those Larry Jones tire grinders? They seem a bit high? Where do you usually those discs?

anything that will spin the tire for you i have a homemade tool, flap discs can be bought at any hardware store

I agree with Kyle, but also since you prepped so aggressive I'd probably finish them and then let them set out said at cure back up some before running it again.

Chop cutz
Venom Juice
Porkchop,
812-447-3306

Can get the flap discs at most hardware or tool stores, I use the 4 1/2" but have seen guys use 7" also. I have a tire machine I made that spins 1500 rpm or so, using a 1/4hp electric motor, half an old axle, wheel hub, and some pillow block bushings, all mounted to a 3' tall bench I can move around or take with me to the track if needed. It has a 2" pulley on the motor and a 6" pulley on the axle. Have another one I made that the axle connects directly to the motor, with a rear cassette and bearing for support and wheel hub on the end of it, which I built for a friend. Plenty way to do it. I have seen guys put an old motor on their kart also, bolt the wheels to the rear axle, and turn up the idle on the engine so that it turns 1700-1800 rpm, and resurface their tires that way on the kart. You would want to use an old clutch also, with engagement set low around 1400-1500. Old max torque clutches will work for that when they get worn out. You'll want to make sure your wheels are balanced before resurfacing the tires, at least I do, makes the job alot easier without the wheel and tire wobbling like crazy from not being balanced.

the kid that made my tire machine welded an old bushing 11 or 12t driver to the electric motor shaft, the frame is made out of angle iron then used a bicknell radius rod (same diameter as axle) with a sprocket and hub, it has some weight to it but I usually clamp it to a table with a C-Clamp. It came with a 55 on the sprocket and spun really fast, I ended up going to an 88 or 90 I believe. Its a little noisy but hey the price was right and it gets the job done

I have 2 disc grinders set up one with 60grit flap wheel 4 1/2. Then finish it off With the 7" with 120 grit flap wheel.I use 50/50 mix Windex,methanol. When done I wash the tires to make sure all excessive rubber is gone from grinding. I use a 1/4 elect motor 2" pulling for driver and a Kart axle with a 6" pulley on rear .

Back