Tires !!! Tires !!! Tires question...

New to karting and wonder about tires.. running dirt oval . Burris 33 tire rule !!! new tires vs older tires like 2013-2014 range , not thick punching duro 60. Are new tires mostly the best way to go..or in what track conditions would each tire be good used at ? Also how many play the duro game or duro ratings for track condition also ??? Thank for any and all help !!!

Attachments

• th11.jpg
    th11.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
My information is mostly secondhand, so take it for what it's worth.
Heat cycles, tires get harder with each heat cycle.
Age, tires get harder with age. I suppose heat cycles have something to do with this. What the reason is, I have no idea, but they wrap the new tires with a clear plastic. Must be some reason for doing this?

My information is mostly secondhand, so take it for what it's worth.
Heat cycles, tires get harder with each heat cycle.
Age, tires get harder with age. I suppose heat cycles have something to do with this. What the reason is, I have no idea, but they wrap the new tires with a clear plastic. Must be some reason for doing this?
It keeps the salt air from the tire while it's on the boat. :)

New to karting and wonder about tires..new tires vs older tires like 2013-2014 range , not thick punching duro 60. Are new tires mostly the best way to go..or in what track conditions would each tire be good used at ? Also how many play the duro game or duro ratings for track condition also ??? Thank for any and all help !!!
It all boils down to track conditions and amount of grip the track makes, give better details what your racing under open tire rule ? where are the tracks you normally run ? racing daytime shows or night time shows ?

Sorry dirt oval
Im new, but FWIW I can spend all week on my 1.5 yr old Maxxis hitting them with aggressive prep and they wont get softer than a 47 on the duro. I was wiping medium on my New cobras last week and 3 or 4 wipes and it was sub 45. By my feature Saturday night I was sub 40 on the duro.

All of my stuff is rolled internally as well. Im not an expert at all, but I'm saving money on prep with my newer tires.

It all boils down to track conditions and amount of grip the track makes, give better details what your racing under open tire rule ? where are the tracks you normally run ? racing daytime shows or night time shows ?
Dirt oval...1/8 and 1/10 miles . Low bite tracks . Northwest Ohio . Night races..heats during day hot in summer at times..

Burris 33 racing is all over the place as far as what ends up being the ticket, Duro is important but not as much as thickness, date code and profile, and the whole chemical game especially on 33's, for what you describe you won't need 2014 and older there would be limited places for a 33 that old getting them to go, If your just starting out and have very limited selection you'd probably be best to start with new cut set, for what you describe If I had to start in the dark with no on track proven info, and could only take 3 sets, I'd have a new cut round cut set, a 2019 flat cut or summit cut set, and a 2019 round cut set with the 2019 duro around 58 and would be important with the 2019's they weren't prepped much prior.

Burris 33 racing is all over the place as far as what ends up being the ticket, Duro is important but not as much as thickness, date code and profile, and the whole chemical game especially on 33's, for what you describe you won't need 2014 and older there would be limited places for a 33 that old getting them to go, If your just starting out and have very limited selection you'd probably be best to start with new cut set, for what you describe If I had to start in the dark with no on track proven info, and could only take 3 sets, I'd have a new cut round cut set, a 2019 flat cut or summit cut set, and a 2019 round cut set with the 2019 duro around 58 and would be important with the 2019's they weren't prepped much prior.
Thanks for alot fo great detail info and covering all kinds of conditions

New to karting and wonder about tires.. running dirt oval . Burris 33 tire rule !!! new tires vs older tires like 2013-2014 range , not thick punching duro 60. Are new tires mostly the best way to go..or in what track conditions would each tire be good used at ? Also how many play the duro game or duro ratings for track condition also ??? Thank for any and all help !!!

Kyle,
Give me a call at the shop.
I am familiar with the tracks in your area, as well as the preps that most are using.
We have our own prep that doesn't kill the tires and force you to throw a fresh set on every time you hit the track.
Fresh(er) tires would be better, but you can make your tires work decently if need be.
With a 33 rule, you can use about as many tires as you can afford (and then some.) Different thicknesses, different profiles, different duro, and all the combinations in between.
A good compromise is to have a set of medium/thick round cut soft tires for low bite, an intermediate set of newer date code stuff for when the track starts to come in, and an older set of flat cuts when the track bites up good and hard.
9 times out of 10 you'll be on round or inters with medium thick rubber punching 50-55 where you're at. Put as much bite to them as you can.
Our prep program is very simple -- more wipes = more bite.

If we can be of any help to you at all, please don't hesitate to give us a cal at the shop. Sarah, the boys, or I would be glad to help you.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back