Tires won't hold the track

EthanP3

Track was nearly blacked over from two days of racing. Running Yellow Vegas and I could not for the life of me get them to hold the track. They'd slide and bark around the corners. They were punching around 30 and I was running 5 in the left and 6 in the right. I had read somewhere that on a hard dry track to increase tire pressure. Is that the way to go or is that gonna hurt me?

If Earl is correct in the track being hard, then it sounds like you were too soft on duro, and if that's the case, it should show up with excessive tire wear (feathering on the inside shoulders.)
Now, if the track simply sealed over and turned black (but still did not bite up = fairly common on some of our northern states tracks,) then it could be that you simply didn't have enough bite in the tires.
If the track uses soap powder, that tends to seal the track up and yield little to now bite as well.
On a hard, dry, track - you increase your tire pressure if you are seeing pressure gains, need more roll speed, track bites, up, etc. Not all hard dry tracks bite up though.
We need some more info.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If Earl is correct in the track being hard, then it sounds like you were too soft on duro, and if that's the case, it should show up with excessive tire wear (feathering on the inside shoulders.)
Now, if the track simply sealed over and turned black (but still did not bite up = fairly common on some of our northern states tracks,) then it could be that you simply didn't have enough bite in the tires.
If the track uses soap powder, that tends to seal the track up and yield little to now bite as well.
On a hard, dry, track - you increase your tire pressure if you are seeing pressure gains, need more roll speed, track bites, up, etc. Not all hard dry tracks bite up though.
We need some more info.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Fairly new to racing karts sorry. It's a southern clay track. All they put on it is water. My rear tires are showing feathering

You more than likely coulda gotten away with a little to nothing more than internal prep set of yellows with about 2 more psi of air

Then why even suggest possibly not enough bite in the tires.
Why even come on this forum and ask for help?
Just maybe the OP is new to our sport and didn't know what the problem was. He might not be as familiar with diagnosing a tire issue as you are. Asking for others' opinions on here seems like a logical choice.

Why even come on this forum and ask for help?
Just maybe the OP is new to our sport and didn't know what the problem was. He might not be as familiar with diagnosing a tire issue as you are. Asking for others' opinions on here seems like a logical choice.
Thought maybe I was missing something that I could learn so I ask.

Have you tried the blue Vega?
I would run yellow Vegas for damp and blue for hard...jmo...
I have not. These Vegas came with the kart. Our tracks seem to start wet and moist but by the feature race they are blacked over and dry. I'm sure from what everyone has told me on this thread I had my tires way too soft. They were way softer than I normally run

Back